Bedroom Antics - not X rated!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
PW in Polemi

Bedroom Antics - not X rated!

Post by PW in Polemi »

Well, as they say in France “Parlez du diable et on voit ses cornes” (speak of the devil and he appears). Having mentioned praying mantis in the swallows thread viewtopic.php?p=340302#340302 it was almost bound to happen...

Lying on the bed last night, finishing off my chapter before tucking down, there was a plaintive “meew” from the patio. No point ignoring it, Ginge has a volume knob that goes up and up and up – and I didn't want him to wake OH. So I went and opened the patio screen door and waited for his little lordship to waltz into the bedroom. Only he didn't. He sat there, peering intently at something (or nothing?) until I started to close the screen door. Typical perverse cat behaviour. :roll:

Then he finally deigned to come in and wandered off to the kitchen so I could fetch his pre-midnight snack. (Slave? Moi????)

Once he'd finished and was back outside, I went back to my book. Except I daren't get back on the bed – there was something on my pillow. Closer inspection proved it to be a praying mantis. Quite a large praying mantis. In fact, just about the biggest I've yet seen. (Gulp) And as they are meat-eaters and I'm a scaredy cat ( :lol: ), I was reluctant to pick him up in my bare hands. Instead, I tried to encourage him onto a bookmark so I could carry or guide him through the window and leave him on the windowsill.

Well, after several minutes of rushing round the bedroom, collecting him from curtains, floor, bed, me (gulp), in an irregular rotation, I gave up and fetched the insecticutor bat. Carefully refraining from touching the “zap” button, I managed to persuade the praying mantis onto the bat for long enough to get him to the window. I'd just opened the fly screen – and, yep, you guessed it, he flew/hopped off again, back into the room. :roll:

So another round of “chase the praying mantis” ensued. Finally, success! Yippee! And OH slept through all this and his only comment in the morning on seeing the insecticutor bat in the bedroom was “what did you murder last night?”

Perhaps I should have committed murder last night (the praying mantis, not OH!:lol:) – I certainly would not have indulged in all that frustrating exercise instead of relaxing prior to sleeping. And “they” say (these famous experts) that you should not indulge in exercise within about 2 hours of sleeping – yes, that's exercise with an “e”, not exercise with an “s”!!! :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Have you noticed that a praying mantis stares you out with his two black beady eyes. He doesn't look at you sideways with just one eye, but swings his big wide head about to follow you as you move. However, PW, I doubt you were in a state to notice that kind of thing last night!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Your creature in the bedroom antics reminded me of one of my favourite Family Guy moments.

https://youtu.be/USqGrwJZqY8
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Reminds me of the evening we found a mouse in the lounge. After half and hour of turning the lounge upside down, with it constantly shooting across the lounge from under one piece of furniture to another, once we finally got the mouse out, the lounge looked like we had been vandalised and burgled. Too tired, we went to bed and left the tidying up for the next morning.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

We've currently got a Wood Mouse in our lounge; we've seen it nibbling the dog's Bonios.
Problem - a Wood Mouse is really cute.... :?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

greenbarn wrote:We've currently got a Wood Mouse in our lounge; we've seen it nibbling the dog's Bonios.
Problem - a Wood Mouse is really cute.... :?
Where I live, there is no distinction between a house mouse and a wood mouse. There is just one type which is half the size (literally) of a house mouse, so they are even cuter and so small that their weight on a mousetrap is not enough to spring it.

I have been having to use poisoned-bait boxes (thanks to a post on here) to destroy a growing population of rats, which are getting to our oranges and lemons before we do. I saw one of these miniature mice coming out of one triumphantly carrying a piece of bait. It was a very sad moment and has made me think again about what I am doing (or having to do) in a new light.