Isle of Wight

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
HPD

Isle of Wight

Post by HPD »

Hello, does anyone have a holiday let in the Isle of Wight?

Wanted some experience/ views of people who do and how popular they are, if ferry prices put people off etc.

Thank you :)
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Our property is in Lymington which has a direct ferry to the IOW. Lots of guests go across but wince at the price for taking a car. I did read somewhere that it's the most expensive crossing in the world £ per mile.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Regarding the ferry - talk to the companies.

I have relatives in Chichester and friends in Southampton - I visit both at least once every two months, so I'm in the area "often". I'd often toyed with a day trip to IOW, but the £100 return with the car had always put me off.

Anyway - last week I had a lovely trip to the IOW, whereby the hotel paid for my ferry.

On closer inspection, it seems many hotels offer free ferry travel. the ferry ticket I received was a "special rate" that could not be administered by me, as it was an agent ticket.

It seems that hotels and B&B's on the island have trade accounts with the ferry companies - in my case, Wight Link.

I would speak to Wight Link and see what they're offering - I suspect it's a fraction of what the public are charged when buying direct.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have a friend with family on the IOW, he is always complaining about the cost.
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

We stay on the island once or twice a year, but in Cowes so if we are not taking a car over can use the Redjet which is inexpensive. I agree that taking a car over is very very expensive. You can use Tesco tokens.
We have also stayed in a hotel on the south side a few years ago and that was with a deal, like that referred to above, where the ferry in that case from Southampton was included in the rate. But its somewhere I love going to and that bit of water makes you feel you have really gone away!