Flea and threats

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Steve, I really feel for you, but I have to say that I'm VERY uncomfortable with you naming this person on here. This is, after all, a public part of the forum and her name can be seen by anyone who chooses to Google it - including the person herself.

I understand why you've named her here but I think in your own interests and the interests of LMH itself you really should remove it.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Hi, apologies to everyone, her name has been removed. Bad idea on my behalf.

Thanks everyone
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

I am sure we all understand your frustration Steve and have every sympathy.
I am so sorry that you have had to put up with this awful guest especially at such a difficult time for you and your family.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I can only echo what has already been said. Crappy guests taking advantage at the worst time, with more important things to occupy you than small-minded chancers whose most important thing in life is impressing their fellow inhabitants of the ooze layer.

Sympathies.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I haven't commented before but have read with horror about your plight. I only hope you can put this behind you eventually. If Karma exists it will surely come back to bite them. Fingers crossed!
louloup

Post by louloup »

Is she gets bitten by Karma will she leave a bad review? :roll:
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Hi Steve

You have all my sympathy - what awful behaviour - & how difficult coinciding with a bereavement...

I had a guest who complained she had been bitten by fleas earlier this year. She implied that she would write a bad review if she did not receive compensation. I offered her a goodwill payment - stressing her failure to contact me whilst at my cottage - but I was fortunate in so far as she did not take my offer up or write any review that I was aware of.

I was relieved once I concluded that no bad review was forthcoming but it was still a stressful experience for me. Your situation is far more tricky.

I do hope you are able to either sue the guest successfully or mange to put the episode out of your mind..

Jenny
terrerouge

Post by terrerouge »

Hi Steve,

I just came across this thread a little while ago. You have my full sympathy - I had a very similar experience to yours some years ago. Over the course of the stay of the guests, it became clear that what they were after was a half price holiday. They complained about everything they could think of and found danger where there was none. They threatened legal action, and my solicitor advised me not to give in to their claims. The legal action never came, of course. BUT, right at the start of their stay they posted an absolutely horrendous post on TA, and since they never threatened with a bad review, I was unable to have it removed. Their way of getting even, but they did not get any money :(

While it was going on, their e-mails came pretty regularly, late evening, after they had put the kids to bed. Things like "my wife works at one of the best law schools in Britain" and "she's not going to let this go" etc.

With hindsight, I might have dealt with them differently, perhaps even bought them off. I still find it somewhat stressful just thinking about it, but luckily they were the only nasty people I've had in all the years I've been doing this.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

terrerouge wrote:.... but luckily they were the only nasty people I've had in all the years I've been doing this.
That's the message to take away I think. People like these scumbags are mercifully rare and the vast majority of guests will be delightful - or if not 'delightful' then at least no real problem! It will take a while to get over this incident, but once the genuine holidaymakers start leaving great comments and glowing reviews equilibrium will be restored :)
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Yes, I think now is the time to try and put it all behind us and just hope this never happens again. Just an awful experience and sickening behaviour.

Thank you everyone for your messages of support, advice and reassuring comments. You all kept me sane!! Apologies too, for submitting the lady's name, but it was removed. I know it was out of order now, but I wanted to let people know so that they would not have the stress and anxiety of going through what we did.

Kind regards
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Sympathy from us too.

If they managed to leave a bad review now would be a good time to contact previous guests who booked through those sites and haven't left reviews. Maybe update them on your Autumn/Winter availability and ask for a review. Make it easy for them by including a link to the right page for submitting the review.

It'll make sure that the negative review isn't the first one and is more balanced out by positive ones.

In our experience an isolated negative review doesn't seem to cause any lasting problems.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Once again, and this may sound controvertial, but I believe that taking a healthy returnable deposit from renters deters this kind of behaviour.

I am not sure if this was the case here.

I think it probably concentrates the minds of the, -lets try and get it for half price brigade- and may quite possibly have filtered them out before they even booked.