No bookings since Brexit

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
declanja

Post by declanja »

oasiscouple wrote:
Jensen wrote:France is becoming an expensive destination !!
For who?
This year we have had guests from Norway, Belgium, Denmark, Germany and France plus 6 different families from the UK (including Ireland). I haven't heard anyone complain about prices in France.[/quote

Oasis couple, we have just celebrated the 100 years since the 1916 Rising here in Ireland. I am sure you did not mean to cause offence but we do not like for Ireland to be included in UK figures
declanja

Post by declanja »

oasiscouple wrote:
For who?
This year we have had guests from Norway, Belgium, Denmark, Germany and France plus 6 different families from the UK (including Ireland). I haven't heard anyone complain about prices in France.
Oasiscouple, we have just celebrated the 100 years since the 1916 Rising here in Ireland. I am sure you did not mean to cause offence but we do not like for Ireland to be included in UK figures.Declan
CSE

Post by CSE »

They are writing about Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) and not Eire.
As we all know Eire has the Euro, so those from there will not notice any exchange rate changes.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

la vache!
We have been told that there are also a lot of soldiers and police in Mont St Michel this year.
but France is not the only destination to suffer obviously Turkey and most Arab states with a Med. coast, plus Belgium.

The ferries are taking the hiss with the prices. Whilst the pound has fallen it has cannot affect costs that much can it :?

When writing the last post forgot to suggest incidences around Calais will also have a huge affect on the choice of destination for one's vacation.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

la vache! wrote: My big problem is the price of Brittany Ferries crossings now which most of my guests use. Even with the HFD 20% discount the price of crossings has increased massively in the last few years and I'm sure that puts people off.
A lot of my guests have commented on that, i have noticed more are now coming from Calais or via the chunnel & even more are flying here. Fortunately our airport in La Rochelle has flights from all over the UK now so i am starting to build a marketing strategy around that, one of which will mean a more flexible change over day.
declanja

Post by declanja »

casasantoestevo wrote:They are writing about Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) and not Eire.
As we all know Eire has the Euro, so those from there will not notice any exchange rate changes.

I don't want to derail this thread but I feel I have to clarify this. Without getting political, Northern Ireland refers to Northern Ireland, part of the UK, the Republic of Ireland refers to the south or Eire as you call it. Ireland refers to the island as a whole. The initial poster had referred to Ireland, not Northern Ireland. They may choose to clarify what "Ireland" they were referring to!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Please read up WIKI on the subject. The use of the word in English covers a multitude of subjects.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_(disambiguation)
Given the above information and that this conversation is about the effect of Brexit and the consequences on reservations.
We can all understand the context in which it has been written in this thread.
declanja

Post by declanja »

I am afraid we all can't be sure of the context in which the poster had used the term "Ireland" until they choose to clarify what they were trying to convey. They used the phrase "UK (including Ireland)". The term UK is the abbreviation of " The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, so the meaning of the phrase "UK including Ireland" is not clear. To me it may means the UK and the island of Ireland, which includes both the Republic and Northern Ireland. I accept your point about it being used in the context of Brexit and the issue of the UK Pound v Euro, but the abbreviation UK would have adequately covered Northern Ireland in this context.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Declan - I'm sure no offence was meant by Oasiscouple, may be just a lack of knowledge about the nuances of the island of Ireland. My husband is of Northern Irish descent.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

oasiscouple wrote:
For who?
This year we have had guests from Norway, Belgium, Denmark, Germany and France plus 6 different families from the UK (including Ireland). I haven't heard anyone complain about prices in France.
For the English ! Sorry ! for people traveling from the United Kingdom

Work out what it cost's for a family of 4 to drive out, Ferry cost's, fuel cost's, property rental, food & entertainment etc . Then have a look how much they can pay for a package holiday!

Ps: Who can remember when you could go out for a 4 course meal for lunch in France with wine and coffee for 45 francs/person :-) :wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I just go there, and try not to think about the credit card bill until I get back. It's always much more than I expect it to be. :oops:
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Already have had several enquiries from the UK for next year and one firm booking and other guests from this year talking about coming back. So not sure Brexit is the issue. But I'm sure the exchange rate is and terrorism (even down here in the SW) for a few (one couple nearly didn't come this year).

I think France is expensive for our guests. We've seen this year almost no attempt to eat out or go anywhere. Fortunately it's been a good summer, so they've just stayed by the pool and self-catered.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I commented way back in this thread that bookings were down. Then, suddenly, mid-August we took two bookings for a fortnight. One was a family who just decided to 'go for it' no matter what and the ones in now are a young couple.

As usual, there seems to be no clear logic ...........