should i make up all beds?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

greenbarn wrote:
ClareW wrote: Is it normal for me to have been so scared driving away from the cottage today having prepared it for my very first guests??!
Oh yes. Definitely normal. It gets easier, but you never stop wanting everything to be spot on. Enjoy the buzz!
+1 - if you didn't feel like that you probably wouldn't be a very good holiday home owner. The first let I had I was so nervous, that having showed the guests around and made sure everything was OK I made a complete fool of myself by tripping over the front door step and spraing my ankle quite badly.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

ClareW wrote: Is it normal for me to have been so scared driving away from the cottage today having prepared it for my very first guests??!
Yep! And I'm still the same at the beginning of every season even after 10 years. :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Yes, me too! That first guest of the season is really nailbiting and returnees can be a worry too - is it as good as they remember or is their memory over-hyping it (like when you remember every day of every childhood summer as being warm and sunny - in the UK!!!) :lol:

Don't worry, ClareW. The time to get out of this business is not when you worry about having done it all thoroughly, but when you say "Oh, that'll do. It's only tourists. They'll never notice." We have a wooden fence in the garden, and it needs frequent re-staining to keep it looking reasonable - water splashed out of the pool together with the winter rains simply leach the colour out of the wood. Nobody notices when it's freshly done, but they would definitely notice if it wasn't done, and perhaps wonder what other maintenance hadn't been done...
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

ClareW wrote: Is it normal for me to have been so scared driving away from the cottage today having prepared it for my very first guests??! It did look lovely but I was so worried I may have forgotten to do something or left something silly out!
Absolutely!

It does get much easier though.
polkadot

Post by polkadot »

I ask on the booking form which beds they want to use, they can just tick boxes. Some couples do sleep in separate rooms which is fine. I do this because if I make up all beds, a double & 2 singles, if they use the double the singles can get sat upon, or cases stored on them so they get creased and look used. No one has complained about the singles not being made up if they're only using the double.