Freezer

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Jeddy

Freezer

Post by Jeddy »

Hi

I'm back with another question, expect several from me in the next few weeks!

I have had two agents this last week to look at my 1 bed. Both very keen and seemed impressed with the place. The kitchen already has a brand new fridge, but no freezer, and I didn't buy it, it was already there. I am more than happy to replace it with a fridge freezer, however the first agent told me not to bother as I already had a nice fridge. The second agent told me I definitely have to get a freezer.

If I had bought the fridge I would have gone for the type with a small top freezer.

So once again I'd appreciate what you think, should I just go and get one so it's done with.

Thanks again
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I offer one. In fact having a freezer is required for my VisitWales * rating but I would have had one anyway,

Guests really appreciate the convenience of a freezer and I've had several enquiries checking that there is one before booking.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

I think a freezer is necessary - how would I make ice for my G&T otherwise!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I would definitely go for a fridge freezer. That all important ice has to go somewhere! An American would have forty fits if they arrived to find there was no ice! Although I supply four ice trays, they still go out and buy bags of it. Also ice cream is a useful holiday pudding item (and it means they won't be using your oven to make a drippy treacle tart perhaps)

Snap, Anya. We were typing at the same time. I was thinking of my G and T too!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I rarely use the freezer for frozen food at my apartment, but it does get used for wine coolers and ice.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Guests in the UK are likely to expect a freezer, and it’s popular for frozen food to keep holiday cooking simple (ie chips and pizzas, mainly :wink: )

A freezer compartment inside a fridge isn’t regarded as suitable by Visit Britain, (who don’t drink G&Ts) but better than nothing - and as a 1 bed you’re presumably only catering for two people.
Is there any chance of stacking a freezer on top of your existing fridge? Especially if it’s brand new.
Jeddy

Post by Jeddy »

Thank you once again,

I'll replace the fridge for a fridge freezer, it's a tall larder fridge so I couldn't put a freezer on top.

I didn't realise the small freezer box wasn't sufficient for visit wales so thanks for that info because I probably would have bought one as it's only a 1 bed.

Apart from ice cubes I was kind of wondering whether it would get used (hence getting the ice box type) but I'd forgotten about ice cream and there are a couple of locally made ice cream companies around here to tempt people.

Thank you everyone
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Jeddy wrote:

I didn't realise the small freezer box wasn't sufficient for visit wales so thanks for that info because I probably would have bought one as it's only a 1 bed.
I think you are OK up to 3* in Wales without but if you are aiming for higher you will need one.

However whether you want to go for rating is a whole 'nother question!
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

In our small house (sleeps 4 -6) and our 2 person gite in France we have put a roomy fridge in each, both have a small freezer section at the top.
It suits us for our stays which can be for more than a month. None of our visitors has ever requested a freezer or complained about the lack of one.

A freezer section gives room for ice cubes, ice cream and a few frozen items.
Fleur
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

If you’re buying from new, a frost-free appliance is a real bonus in a holiday let - no defrosting worries.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We only have a fridge with an ice box and have lost a couple of bookings based on that. A couple of people with specific dietary needs wanted to bring ready prepared food frozen.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I had a fridge freezer with four drawers in my very small kitchen and it was run empty the majority of the time. A complete waste of money and not good for the appliance. I actually made up bags with polystyrene and foam to fill the freezer when it wasn't in use. Guests needed one drawer for their pizza, ice and chips. :wink:

So when it went wrong, I replaced it with a larder fridge and small freezer compartment within. I've had no complaints and have the same in my second property too for five years. I now have cupboard space above which is far more important in my kitchen.