Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

CATS!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrishill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: CATS! Reply with quote

Hi, can someone advise me on taking a cat, they say it is 3 years old, has travelled with them before to Scottish cottages and has never been a problem, they are asking for a week that is not that popular and seem to be a nice family (from what i can glean from the emails). Have dogs no problem, i know cats do not travel well in general, we take a 50 good housekeeping deposit, for what it's worth!
Thanks. Surprised
anya752000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to consider future guests. Cat allergy is much more common than dog allergy and even after cleaning allergens can stay in the home for several months.
harrishill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I hadn't thought of allergy as being worse than with dogs, I was just considering possible scratching and soiling, spraying in the house, also the smell after a litter tray being used all week, think we will decline, not worth the risk.
PW in Polemi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, cat hairs tend to be finer than those of dogs - so are much harder to completely eradicate. I should know - I've got a cat and no matter how careful we are, cat hairs get INSIDE our clothing and that's without picking him up and cuddling him Shocked Laughing And he's a DSH (domestic short hair), with no fluff and not a thick coat.

Cats generally are very territorial and both genders like to mark "their" territory, and I'm sure this cat would happily rub against door frames, various items of furniture and leave grubby marks behind - at cat height! Our wooden sideboard has a pale streak where the cat has rubbed the colour out of the wood. We've restained it several times, but it's a bit like painting the Forth Bridge - it doesn't last. Laughing

Your good housekeeping deposit of 50 does not seem very much - if any damage was caused it would not cover much in the way of costs, and it's not high enough to be a deterrent. Particularly as you take dogs anyway, perhaps you should consider increasing this?
zebedee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Many thanks, I hadn't thought of allergy as being worse than with dogs, I was just considering possible scratching and soiling, spraying in the house, also the smell after a litter tray being used all week, think we will decline, not worth the risk.

And climbing up your curtains..........
Sam V

Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zebedee wrote:
Quote:

And climbing up your curtains..........

Are they male or female and have they been 'done'? If not, I'd deny immediately, not that I'd accept them anyway. I don't think cats enjoy travel.

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
harrishill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW in Polemi wrote:
As a general rule, cat hairs tend to be finer than those of dogs - so are much harder to completely eradicate. I should know - I've got a cat and no matter how careful we are, cat hairs get INSIDE our clothing and that's without picking him up and cuddling him Shocked Laughing And he's a DSH (domestic short hair), with no fluff and not a thick coat.

Cats generally are very territorial and both genders like to mark "their" territory, and I'm sure this cat would happily rub against door frames, various items of furniture and leave grubby marks behind - at cat height! Our wooden sideboard has a pale streak where the cat has rubbed the colour out of the wood. We've restained it several times, but it's a bit like painting the Forth Bridge - it doesn't last. Laughing

Your good housekeeping deposit of 50 does not seem very much - if any damage was caused it would not cover much in the way of costs, and it's not high enough to be a deterrent. Particularly as you take dogs anyway, perhaps you should consider increasing this?

Many thanks for very helpful reply, I have declined them, she was quite evasive when I asked for details. The GHD was really just a token to deter people smoking and to be careful with dogs and so far (2 years, seasonal April to November), we have had no problem. I realise it is an insignificant amount if serious damage is done but have also been advised that people don't like extra costs on top of the basic price. So far, with the dog clients, we have hardly been able to tell a dog has stayed there, much more mess after little children!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> The Cafe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: