Advice on London Holiday Lets

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Jes

Advice on London Holiday Lets

Post by Jes »

We currently have a holiday let in Wells next to the Sea in Norfolk. We do not use an agent and get plenty of bookings through our own website and advertising platforms. We would like to buy an apartment in London as a holiday let and need some advice on how to market the property. We are looking at a riverside property at Wapping with the intention of attracting holiday makers with the view and good transport links, also possible business stays for Canary Wharf.
Any advice for running a successful holiday let in London would be gratefully received.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Check the lease! You can't assume that you will be allowed to use it for holiday letting and many, many leases specifically prohibit it. That's the golden rule for the most expensive mistake you could otherwise make. :wink:
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Also, check out what individual London councils' views might be on short term holiday letting. Some are rising up against Airbnb which might have ramifications for others.
The best things in life are free
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Hello again Jes. I was intrigued and did some googling. It seems that there is London legislation that requires you to have planning permission if you want to holiday let for more than 90 days per year. Until recently councils did not seriously enforce this. But the fall out from Airbnb lettings on local residents has kicked a number of them into action.
The best things in life are free
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I own rental property in london but long term ast type stuff, if i switched to holiday rental it would deprive the already tight market of a home. Also as said above the lease prohibits holiday letting.

You can do serviced lets, you contract with the provider and they let to companies on a weekly basis.