Putting URL links into website - is it necessary?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
SPJ

Putting URL links into website - is it necessary?

Post by SPJ »

Just in the process of finalising my WP website having (with deep gratitude) followed Alan Egan's templatehttp://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26708
I've a page where I've done a summary listing of local towns to visit, castles, restaurants, gardens, fun days out etc. (I've talked about the special ones in more detail elsewhere). At the moment I'm going through google hunting for URL links and wondering really whether I need to bother, since these days it's so easy just to click, google and then get a list of links.

Not least, most of the local restaurants don't in fact have their own sites so I'm relying on Tripadvisor etc. The castle descriptions aren't always in English (NB: this is a site aimed at the UK market).

Do I need to bother to put in the URL links? What do you think?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I would vote YES. Make it easier.

And, although I don't know the WordPress lingo for this, I would also suggest from a neatness point of view that you use "Anchor texts" to hide the gory details of the URL.

i.e.
See reviews of Thorpe Park

is better than

See Reviews of Thorpe Park https://www.tripadvisor.com.br/Attracti ... gland.html
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hi Richard, thanks. Yes I'm doing the hidden links - tedious!
nealh

Post by nealh »

e-richard wrote:I would vote YES. Make it easier.
I agree especially about making it easier. Generally speaking humans are by nature pretty lazy so if you make it easy for a potential guest they will fall at your feet, praising and thanking you for making their lives wonderful and complete and then thrust copious amounts of wonga at you just so they can stay at your place rather than someone else's.

Perhaps a slight over-egging but you get my drift... :D
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Probably stating the obvious, but make sure the link opens in a new window. I’ve seen websites where that’s been missed, and the viewer is removed from the information you want them to see and doesn’t have a quick return; guess what they do...?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

greenbarn wrote:Probably stating the obvious, but make sure the link opens in a new window. I’ve seen websites where that’s been missed, and the viewer is removed from the information you want them to see and doesn’t have a quick return; guess what they do...?
Good point greenbarn and in fact it doesn't. And I don't know how to make it do so. All Word Press offers me is a little dropdown menu to put the link into and then "apply". Presumably there is an overarching edit function somewhere that offers me the option to open links on a new page - anyone know where that is please?
COYS

Post by COYS »

Don't know if its universal but I just add an asterisk (*) to the end.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

COYS wrote:Don't know if its universal but I just add an asterisk (*) to the end.
Thanks Coys. Not that simple unfortunately. But I have found a "plugin" which I've installed and activated and that seems to have worked (Word Press is a steep learning curve!)
nealh

Post by nealh »

Greenbarn makes a good point - it can be a good idea to open links on a new page so that you don't lose the viewer.

When I create a link in WordPress, there is an option to open it in a new page. Just select the box and it is done. Is there a difference between the .com and .org versions I wonder?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

nealh wrote:Greenbarn makes a good point - it can be a good idea to open links on a new page so that you don't lose the viewer.

When I create a link in WordPress, there is an option to open it in a new page. Just select the box and it is done. Is there a difference between the .com and .org versions I wonder?
When I install a link now, I see there is a little "settings" wheel to the right of the apply button which allows me to tick open on a new page. Has it been there all the time? Or did I have to install the plugin to get it? Who knows. :D

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. It's all working just fine.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

SPJ wrote:When I install a link now, I see there is a little "settings" wheel to the right of the apply button which allows me to tick open on a new page. Has it been there all the time? Or did I have to install the plugin to get it? Who knows. :D
I believe it was there all the time. :wink: Glad you've got it sorted anyway. Wordpress is a steep learning curve but great when it's up and running.