Rules and Courses Needed for Table d'Hôtes

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Pixietoadstool

Rules and Courses Needed for Table d'Hôtes

Post by Pixietoadstool »

Hello everyone
This is my first posting on your website. We have a house in the Cévennes, southern France and I started doing chambres d'hôtes last summer - not many nights, just when we had requests for the gîte when it was already full. People wanted to be able to eat an evening meal but I wasn't able to do so as I haven't done the course. I understand I have to do a course to get a licence to serve alcoholic drinks with the meal and that this can be done in two days. What I am not sure about is whether I also would have to do a long course in providing table d'hôtes or not (this is a secondary income to our pensions so not a full time thing by any means).

I realise also that I have to comply with the hygiene regulations which are quite frightening e.g. having to have a separate sink in the kitchen to wash hands as opposed to preparing food and other concerns like having a separate fridge for our food and that which we are preparing for our guests. The whole idea after all was to get guests eating at the host's table and sharing their meals so it all seems a bit ridiculous.

I just wanted to get feedback from any of you who are already offering evening meals in terms of how strictly you think one needs to adhere to these regulations and whether you think I might get away with feeding people or not? I have so far fed people for nothing but can't go on like that!!!

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Valerie (aka Pixietoadstool)
Love not fear!
dorie

Post by dorie »

Hi there

We just had to do the one day Permis Exploitation and the two day Hygiene Alimentaire

http://www.umihformation.fr/nf-permis-exploitation.php

If you get a training budget through your company you can use it to cover the cost

Both are long winded and pretty much a waste of time covering aspects that aren't very relevant. We have found pretty much everyone in our area hasn't done them at all.

One thing I would say before you bother doing them, is work out if the income is enough for your from dinner. We find now we only cook for 6 or more people otherwise it isn't worth the time but it depends on the level you intend to provide