Flooring - what do?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
jazzuk777

Flooring - what do?

Post by jazzuk777 »

We have a victorian cottage, which has screeded concrete floors downstairs under the carpet. The cottage also has a drop-off from the front thre back and we are just treating damp issues with a chemical DPC.

We liked the idea of Karndean but that needs a (very?) level floor (our floor could be level but on an angle, I'm not sure) and there can be issues with damp floors I understand. It was laminate floor and carpet before.

We don't really want carpet (especially as the house is along a gravel track that gets muddy), so what do we do?

For the Karndean if it is feasible, there is a supply company on eBay at £9.99sq.m, but then we'd have to find a fitter!

Any thoughts?
Last edited by jazzuk777 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
COYS

Re: Flooring - what do?

Post by COYS »

jazzuk777 wrote: (our floor could be level but on an angle, I'm not sure)
I assume you mean it could be flat but not necessarily level?

Either way, a good floor layer will or should insist on any doing any surface preparation (i.e latex etc) but you have to be sure that the floor is either bone dry (above 75% relative humidity if I recall) or fully tanked with a surface DPM.

Make sure any damp issues are resolved or your lovely new flooring won't last 5 minutes.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I would get someone around for a quote. We are just about to get our done with Karndean or similar. They will give a guarantee if fitted by an approved fitter, while keen on DIY it is not a job I would take on myself.

Our problem , you may have the same is that they wont quote until they can see the surface fully so we need to lift the current wooden floor first.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Like ianh100 says, only guaranteed if installed by a registered fitter & they will first have to ascertain that the floor is dry enough to receive any surface preparation. Karndean, Amtico, Junckers etc all the same policy.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I'm wondering whether they put any insulation under the concrete screed which is why they laid carpet on top of the laminate floor they found it rather cold. As with all old houses, it might pay to get professional advice.
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

I had a look at the warranties for Karndean and Amtico yesterday - it seems there are so many exclusions I wonder if they are really worth anything anyway. They exclude damage by high heels for example :shock:

I'm thinking about getting this now which has the same length warranty as residential Karndean (and presumably has less stipulations about fitter!) http://www.diy.com/departments/amadeo-s ... 085_BQ.prd
Last edited by jazzuk777 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

newtimber wrote:I'm wondering whether they put any insulation under the concrete screed which is why they laid carpet on top of the laminate floor they found it rather cold. As with all old houses, it might pay to get professional advice.
There was carpet in the front room and laminate in the dining room, but no carpet over laminate, just over the concrete in both cases.
COYS

Post by COYS »

jazzuk777 wrote:I had a look at the warranties for Karndean and Amtico yesterday - it seems there are so many exclusions I wonder if they are really worth anything anyway. They exclude damage by high heels for example :shock:

I'm thinking about getting this now which has the same length warranty as residential Karndean (and presumably has less stipulations about fitter!) http://www.diy.com/departments/amadeo-s ... 085_BQ.prd
Not critical to achieve absolute surface flatness, but as with the others, make sure the floors are free of any damp issues, use an underlay with built in DPM & make sure their is adequate edge expansion.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I wouldn't worry about heels - I'm a stiletto wearer - 4" is my default and I've had the slate effect Karndean down in my hallway since 2003 and it's still perfect.