Shane Sanderson.

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
missmollie

Shane Sanderson.

Post by missmollie »

Has anybody had request from Shane Sanderson via TA? He wants nearly 3 months from June to beginning of Sept in holiday home. He sent first request 2 weeks ago to which I replied telling him the dates we had available but heard nothing back till today. He now wants to know if those dates are available but I'm quite wary of this, do you think it's a scam....to good to be true
Thanks
joddle

Post by joddle »

Don't really know what to say on your case - I have had rentals for longer periods but normally for someone staying in the area for business or to attend a course or similar - never had someone for a very long holiday - and always the reason for the long stay was mentioned with the request. I've had no bad experienced from long lets - in fact they can be good as often they cater for themselves so you don't have much to do whilst they are there. I always ask for the rental up front though just to be sure.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I'd definitely be probing. Three months over the peak holiday season is very unusual. Respond and quote the price, then see if some sort of obviously scammy thing comes back - which the cynic in me suspects it will.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Casscat could be right - you do have to be so careful these days but so far it looks more "unusual" then "scammy" to me.

If I was going further with this I would be asking a few questions e.g. who is he? where is he from? contact details, why is he staying so long? are his dates already fixed? how is he intending to pay? what services is he expecting re cleaning etc.?. The more detail you get the better off you will be in making a wise decision. If you start getting odd or evasive answers then simply decline.

We had someone booking for a very long time once in a holiday unit - she was doing research for a business and wanted to be somewhere local. Although we thought it odd at first, and she did have a strange name which made us think Nigerian scam at one stage, all went really well and she even booked again for a short stay later.

A long let for us was great as she did all her own cleaning and linen etc. so we were able to offer a decent discount and we had a hassle free time for an extended period. Everyone a winner!!!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.