Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

123-reg email issue

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam V

Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: 123-reg email issue Reply with quote

I have my website domain and email with 123-reg. a few months ago I recall an email from them having made some improvements to their email service, I didn't really read it properly but straisincevthen I started receiving 2-3 spam emails a day when ch a couple of weeks ago I got fed up with and raised a ticket asking why/what to do and I was basically told to up the anti spam on my account, which I did. Then guests started texting me that their emails to me were bouncing back, so I contacted 123-reg again and also re-set my spam setting lower again and I'm still having guests text again me and I don't know if my replies are getting through or if potential new enquiries are being blocked too either. I'm fed up with this situation and the latest reply which I don't think answers problem:

In order to get this sorted out, my advice would be to set up an SPF record to your domain.
This record will make sure that the emails you send are verified from the get-go and they are allowed to reach the Inbox at the recipient`s end. This is the main role of a SPF record, to act as a security check for any emails sent to other mail servers in order for those emails to go through. I have attached a link that might be useful:
https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/Domains-Archive/Domain-Configuration/how-do-i-set-up-a-cname-record-on-my-domain-name-1198/
Also, I kindly suggest contacting the recipient and ask them to add your mailbox to the 'white list' in their email client so it will not be detected anymore as mistrustful.

If thereís anything else at all I can do for you please let me know and Iíll be very happy to help.

Kind Regards,
Bogdan
123-reg

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
RichardHenshall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you and Bogdan may be at cross-purposes. Perhaps you could ask these particular guests for their email address (to be sent to you by text), if you haven't already got it. Then you might need to manually add that address to your whitelist of acceptable senders. Similarly ask them to put your address on their whitelist.

I use an outlook.com address and a while back was completely unable to send to any btinternet.com address for about a week - maybe there's a widespread problem of some sort that's affecting you?
Sam V

Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard, but what is 'white list'? I've never heard of that before

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
RichardHenshall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A whitelist is a list of addresses that are always allowed and a blacklist is the list of addresses that are always blocked. The spam checker should have both.

You may have a spam checker operated by 123-reg as well as one in your email client as touched upon here.

I'm afraid I can't help with how you would access the 123-reg spam controls, black & whitelists etc.
How to build your own personal website from scratch