VAT

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
loveka

VAT

Post by loveka »

We are now just getting stuff together to send to an accountant. We didn't earn anything in this tax year, but all our expenses were incurred.

I am self employed, and I am looking to the future and wondering what happens if you end up VAT registered? It would be fine for my business. But for the holiday let the agency sets the prices so I'm a bit confused how we would charge VAT?

Thanks!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

You probably don't want to be into holiday lets if you are VAT registered. You are competing on price with everyone who is not VAT registered. It would be best to do your self-employed work as a company and not be VAT registered yourself.

How the VAT works is simple. The agent will let you know what rent they charged the guest and the fees they charged you. (They won't mention any booking fees paid directly by the guest to the agent). From the gross rent, you calculate the VAT you charged them (⅙ of the gross rent) and you pay this to HMRC less the VAT the agent charged on their fees to you.