Letting companies that allow you to find your own bookings?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Chinadogs

Letting companies that allow you to find your own bookings?

Post by Chinadogs »

Hi there - I'm new and could do with a bit of hand holding please.

My first query is that I've seen the same property on AirB&B and Sykes, I assume that this is permitted?

Are there any other agencies that let you do your own thing as well as use their services?

TIA, Gill
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

There are, and we had a contract with one for unlimited owner bookings.

The agency sacked us when we started to take our own bookings and would not enter into any dialogue after their letter arrived telling us we were off their books.
Chinadogs

Post by Chinadogs »

thanks - would that mean that there is a difference between owner bookings as in family and friends using the property and actively selling the holidays elsewhere?
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Wyndham Vacation AKA Welcome Cottages, Cottages4you, Cottages.com allow you to make owner bookings to some extent.

Low season: Free of charges within 8 weeks.

High Season: Placing an owner booking within high season attracts charges.

Never tried to place an owner booking in high season. Owner bookings can be no more than a total of 20 weeks over a 12 month period if my memory is correct.

Made several owner bookings in low season no issues at all.

You can have different contracts though giving you greater freedom and flexibility but such contracts come with a much higher commission rate for the whole 12 month period if my memory is correct.

If I were you I would decide one way or the other, Go it alone or use an agent