How much for fixtures and fittings?

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
loveka

How much for fixtures and fittings?

Post by loveka »

We are currently trying to buy another holiday let- the mortgage is not approved yet, so of course it may not happen.

The estate agent told us the seller was leaving everything, but now it seems he was wrong and she wants us to pay her for it.

It's a 1 bedroom annexe, with a tiny kitchen. I wouldn't want any of the mirrors/pictures/rugs, we would replace the light fittings anyway as they aren't to our taste! I would want a standard lamp and 2 table lamps. But how do you tell someone that?

I was planning on painting the wood furniture- which is a sideboard, 2 small coffee tables, a desk and a tiny pine kitchen table. I would probably replace the bed within a year.

Aaah!!! I don't know what to say to her! I haven't seen the crockery or pans so don't know the quality. She gets £585 per week high season if that helps with an estimate? Thanks if you can help.
JP

Post by JP »

Is this a way of her getting out of paying taxes?
It used to be common practice to sell a house at a reduced cost and then the contents at an inflated price as this reduced the increase in house value and therefore the tax paid on it.
The only problem with this is you then end up with the problem as you face a greater increase in value when you come to sell.
loveka

Post by loveka »

I don't think it is in this case,no. On the details it doesn't say anything about fixtures and fittings, it's only now she is filling out the form she has brought it up.

I don't want to insult her, but similarly the furniture isn't worth very much. Second hand furniture is so cheap these days!
JP

Post by JP »

In the case where this is done to reduced capital gains tax the sale of fixtures and fittings is done "under the table" and appears nowhere on any paperwork, but it is done in the presence (unofficially) of the Notary before the house transfer is completed to stop the buyer going back on the promise to pay once the house is in their name.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

loveka wrote:I don't think it is in this case,no. On the details it doesn't say anything about fixtures and fittings, it's only now she is filling out the form she has brought it up.

I don't want to insult her, but similarly the furniture isn't worth very much. Second hand furniture is so cheap these days!
If it is too expensive then just say that you dont want to buy it as it is not worth the money they want. You are buying the house after all. Dont see that they can force you to buy the furniture etc.

Also ask that it all be removed prior to completion.

If you think that you can spend the same money better then do so!

VT
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Perhaps say that you have your own furniture for the most part and so don't need to buy anymore. Better than telling her it is rubbish. If in fact there are a few items which you like, then offer a price just for those.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

When we bought our villa we paid an extra 1.5% €3k to seal the deal and ensure that everything was left at the villa. At the time we didn't know the area very well and wanted to get it up and rented asap. Plus we simply didn't want to arrive and have to shop for everything from beds to kitchen equipment. We arrived with just bedding and were set up within a day. Luckily, the owners furniture was of a reasonable standard and quality.