Newbie - a few financial questions

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
mitchino

Newbie - a few financial questions

Post by mitchino »

We are exploring the idea of buying a holiday let property and have a couple of basic financial questions:

Is the interest on the mortgage still a fully deductible expense?

If yes does the government have any current plans to change this?

It makes sense for us to raise the mortgage required on our main house, rather than the holiday let, so we would in effect be cash buyers. Can we still claim the mortgage interest on the loan as an allowable expense? I read on the web somewhere that HMRC doesn't care where the loan/finance was obtained?

Thanks for any help.
sparkJS

Post by sparkJS »

You can claim interest on commercial lets which includes furnished holiday lets. I would be amazed if any government took it away as it would effect a hell of a lot of businesses.

I also believe that it doesn't matter how you secure your loan (I.e. By using your own house) as long as the value of the loan does not exceed the original purchase price.

Obviously you should take this advice from your accountant and consider other things like should you purchase through a limited co?
MG
whirlybird

Post by whirlybird »

When we were looking at our place we couldn't get a normal mortgage on it. They would only do it on a commercial basis which was more hassle.
https://www.moorparks.co.uk/farm-stay-self-catering/
https://www.facebook.com/moorparks/
Moorparks Holiday Cottages Moorparks, EX19 8NA 07850 356627

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the correct order as they should be!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I part-financed my holiday home by increasing the mortgage on my main property. As long as you can readily distinguish the "old" and "new" parts, there shouldn't be any difficulty. Your accountant will advise how best to proceed with this in mind.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.