Looking for a small electric bathroom heater!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
loveka

Looking for a small electric bathroom heater!

Post by loveka »

The only ace it can go is on the wall at the side of the toilet, so has to be small so people don't touch it whilst on the loo!

It needs to heat the whole bathroom, and I can't find one with sufficient wattage. The house only has electric and can't have anything else.

There used to be a skirting board heater in there, but we took it out because we were worried guests would complain that their children could be burnt on it.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

Can I suggest a thermostatically controlled heated towel rail, if you can find the space ?

Google search: Victorian plumbing have a good range
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

What about something high up on the wall?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Have you considered underfloor heating??
Bathrooms are usually quite small with regard to floor space so it is not an expensive option (can be underfloor electric heating).

It's the most efficient form of heating and a great bit of luxury to advertise in your property.
whirlybird

Post by whirlybird »

Morning

May also, if you haven't already, check on regulations of electrical items in a bathroom.
I have had the same issue before.
https://www.moorparks.co.uk/farm-stay-self-catering/
https://www.facebook.com/moorparks/
Moorparks Holiday Cottages Moorparks, EX19 8NA 07850 356627

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the correct order as they should be!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Underfloor heating , if you don't have to take up floor tiles of course.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

We have a wall-mounted fan heater high on the wall in the bathroom with isolator switch also high on the wall. This was installed by an electrician in 2007. I don't know if the regs have changed since then. Anyway, it's brilliant as it makes the bathroom feel warmer in a few seconds. It has a timed function, so you pull the cord to switch on, and it stays on for about 5 minutes, or you can pull again to switch off.

The only problems we have had with these heaters is that some people pull the cord too hard, breaking the pathetic plastic mechanism inside.

Look for Dimplex FX20VE
and after installing, cut the acorn off the cord to make it harder to pull too hard.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The Regulations do allow for wall heaters, and even nowadays power sockets and standard light switches to be fitted in a bathroom BUT there are restrictions on where they can be located within the bathroom.
The bathroom is divided into Zones that are defined as distances from the bath or shower horizontally and vertically ranging from Zone 0 which is inside the bath or shower tray(!!) out to Zone 2.
It’s worth a google to find a diagram of the zoning which isn’t complicated and will give a good idea of where something can be located, but that will have to be confirmed by the electrician fitting it, along with whether additional circuit breakers are required. Check that any diagram you’re looking at is for the up to date (currently17th) edition of the regs.
loveka

Post by loveka »

Thanks for your replies.

The current towel rail is high up on the wall, we need something more powerful to replace it with. I will look at the wall mounted fan heater. I'm just a bit worried people will leave it on!

I would love under floor heating, but the bathroom has a beautiful (apparently original) floor that I wouldn't want to tamper with.
loveka

Post by loveka »

Sorry, of course you said the fan heater has a timer!