Nikita Bartek

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
susanm

Nikita Bartek

Post by susanm »

Another scam via Owners Direct ......from Ukraine....want to send a cheque....need my full name, postal address and contact number before cheque can be sent. Exactly the same format to a message I received from 'Alex Boris' a few weeks ago.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I assume that was not in their original enquiry message so you replied to an earlier request. What was the message both enquirers first sent?
susanm

Post by susanm »

Nikita Bartek's first contact:

Hello,
How are you doing this morning? i would love to know if you still have these dates available and what is the cost for the whole stays.
Regard.

I replied as normal. Yes it's available and I've attached a quote.

The response from Nikita Bartek:

Hello.
Thanks for the updated information. We are okay with the accommodation .
We would also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:

Name : Mrs. Sasha & Mr. Nikita Bartek.
Rus'ka St, 73, Ternopil, Ternopil's'ka oblast, Ukraine
Also , we will make arrangement for the full payment inform of a check and send to you through regular mail without any delay.
Please do forward me the following details for payment.

FULL NAME
BILLING ADDRESS
CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER
EMAIL ADDRESS
Waiting to hear from you soon.
Best Regards.
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 at 10:01 AM

The first contact from Alex Boris:

Hello,
I would like to know if there is availability for the dates and what would be the total cost for the whole stays with other fee?
Regard.

Again, I responded that it was available with a quote and his response was:

Hello.
We would also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:
Name : Mr Alex Boris & Mrs Polina Boris
Svobody Ave, 46,
L'viv,
Ukraine.

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card or other online payment,we will arrange for payment inform of a check.
FULL NAME
HOME ADDRESS
CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER
EMAIL ADDRESS.
Hope to hear from you soon
Best Regards
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Clearly both enquiries are by the same person.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Same enquiry from 'Nikita Bartek' received for my Edinburgh apartment on 30 July.
klockstone

Post by klockstone »

Funny, I've just had one of those:

Hello,
We would also like to confirm the reservation on the following details:

Name : Mr. Mikail & Mrs. Diana Papova
Sobornosti Ave, 52,
Luts'k,
Volyns'ka oblast,
Ukraine.
Also , we will make arrangement for the full payment inform of a check and send to you through regular mail without any delay.

FULL NAME;
BILLING ADDRESS;
CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER;
EMAIL ADDRESS;
Hope to hear from you soon.
Best Regards.

=================
Line 3 of the email's headers says:
Received-SPF: pass (domain of mail.com designates 74.208.4.201 as permitted sender)

and 74.208.4.201 is 1&1 Internet Inc. an internet hosting company in the states - not an ISP.

Also 'Mikail' should be 'Mikhail' - so the scam could be US based.
Keith
www.larches-cottage.co.uk

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
madginburgh

at it again

Post by madginburgh »

I received an enquiry through HomeAway this week, I'm new to holiday letting but if someone gives me an address I google it anyway, and found this forum! Anyway, same enquiry, address, etc, just a different name!

Hello,
How are you doing? I would love to know if these dates are still available and what would be the cost for the whole seven nights?
Best Regard.

***at this point, I replied, with the price. Even offered the buggers a discount for it being a full week!

Their response:

Hello
Thanks for the updated information. We are okay with the accommodation.
We would also like to confirm the reservation on the following details:
Name : Mrs. Paula & Mr. Fernando Edvard.
Sobornosti Ave, 52,
Luts'k,
Volyns'ka oblast,
Ukraine.
Also , we will make arrangement for the full payment inform of a cheque and send to you through regular mail without any delay.
FULL NAME
BILLING ADDRESS
CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER
EMAIL ADDRESS
Hope to hear from you soon.
Best Regards.
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 3:04 PM

*** I replied again, pointing out that I'd only do the transaction through the website. Haven't heard from them since &#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

So they're still at it........
my husband was no help at all in deciding a signature &#128533;
haowner

Post by haowner »

Yes, they are definitely still at it. I received the exact same inquiry from Fernando Edvard, and then a followup email with the following text.

Hello,
How are you doing? I received a confirmation from my Assistant that the cheque for the rent in full payment has been issued and posted out to your given address, so please keep an eye on it. But there was a mix up before the cheque was posted out to You. The accommodation fee and our travel's expense was included in the cheque posted to you, I tried to correct this but it was in vain that it was too late to do this, Because the payment as be record and also the cheque as already be sent out to you. I want you to go ahead and deduct the full payment for our accommodation in your place and please help refund the balance to my travel's agent that handles our Flight's tickets and travel's documents to your lovely country.
Please, let me know when you get the check, and also i am deeply sorry for the inconveniences this might cause you for refunding the balance to our agent.
Please, kindly confirm you received this mail and let me know how you can help on this issue.
Hope to read from you soon.
Regard.
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 2:22 PM

On 9/13/17, I received by mail, a FRAUDULENT CASHIER'S CHECK in the amount of $6,000.00 from Remitter Tiffany Tibbs drawn on Farmers State Bank in Scotts Hill, TN 38274. After calling the bank to confirm it was fake, I was told by a bank rep to tear it up and discard it because they get these all the time from Tiffany Tibbs! I reported the incident to HomeAway and forwarded the emails to spoof@Homeaway.com, as well as blocked the email as SPAM to prevent further inquiries. Disturbing there is no way to id and prosecute these online creeps who successfully prey on more trusting victims!
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

haowner wrote: Disturbing there is no way to id and prosecute these online creeps who successfully prey on more trusting victims!
Nope, but you can have lots of fun with them (see my thread in the Member's Only section)... the more time they waste answering me, the less time they have for scamming a genuine victim :wink: