BBC iPlayer abroad (+ UK ITV, Channel 4 etc; US/Canadian TV)

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

BBC iPlayer abroad (+ UK ITV, Channel 4 etc; US/Canadian TV)

Post by Mountain Goat »

iPlayer is great for replaying progs you've missed, but how about a workaround for using abroad/overseas?

Update 29 May 2009
If anyone hasn't got time to churn through 9 pages of an interesting thread, skip to the end, where we are coming to some decisions on a reliable VPN service for not only UK TV, but French, Spanish, German, US and Canadian sources. Not just for Live TV, of course, but play-it-again TV, TV serials, radio, software, music and other downloads which are country-restricted.

However, if anyone has a reliable, good value alternative, preferably without the requirement to download software, please let the forum know. The majority I've tried are unreliable, erratic and complex to setup; I've avoided proxy services as unreliable and complicated to use.

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Yes, I fixed it by putting a proxy UK IP address on my browser and it works for me.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

LV, that's seriously great, but how do you do that? Firefox preferably but IE at a push....tried searching Help but didn't come up with anything, and the Google options look tough - do I have to download a gadget?

Does it work with the ITV equivalent?

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi MG,
follow these instructions: ghacks.net/2006/06/06/how-to-view-the-football-worldcup-online and it should work, does for me (I use it in FF).
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The Apprentice starts this week, just in case anyone hasn't got UK Sat TV and wants to follow it, this definitely works for accessing the BBC iPlayer from abroad, using Firefox.

1. Make a note of your IP address, if you don't know it, use a site like http://whatismyipaddress.com/
2. Find a UK proxy IP address and port from a site like this (they do get updated regularly as proxy addresses don't usually last long)http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html
3. In Firefox, go to Tools, Options, Advanced, Settings. Check the box which says 'Manual Proxy Configuration and put in your proxy IP and port into the box underneath, HTTP proxy.

It is best to only use the proxy address when you are accessing the iPlayer site as you may be blocked from other sites using a proxy (I couldn't get onto LMH for example).

Of course you can use this site uktvabroad.com and pay ridiculous amounts of money for them doing exactly the same thing.
Last edited by la vache! on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

LV - you are such a clever cow! :oops: Wot, you mean I can actually watch BBC telly on my PC? And listen to Rad 4 (just found that out, too) :wink:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Rocket Rab wrote: And listen to Rad 4 (just found that out, too) :wink:
It's much easier to listen to the radio, that is legal! I wish that programmes were available more than 7 days, I've missed most of the last series of Just a Minute and I didn't catch all of The News Quiz either.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I have followed this till I am blue in the face, and it still works out that I am in France :roll:
Cheers
PC
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Paul Carmel wrote:I have followed this till I am blue in the face, and it still works out that I am in France :roll:
How strange, I got on OK today with one of the proxy addresses in the link I posted. You still have the option with UKTVabroad though :wink:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

LV, most of the Radio 4 progs. are available for more than 7 days, but not all.

Go to this Listen Again page and when you get down to your favourite, you've got two alternatives - either clicking on the latest broadcast (on the right) or clicking on the left takes you (usually) to the prog's home page, where sometimes the available downloads go back a year.

Another way is subscribing to the podcasts and then it just sends the MP3 version every week (or whatever).

Some progs, like Desert Island Discs, you have to record live due to copyright restrictions (music?), and some have a week's broadcasts put together (like the Archers' Omnibus).

Thanks for the iPlayer stuff, giving it a go now.

An hour later - just realised I'm in the UK, duh, so will try out next week...........

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Thanks, LV - you've answered my question on another thread. :oops:
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Mountain Goat wrote:...An hour later - just realised I'm in the UK, duh, so will try out next week...........
:D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Thanks. That really made my day.

Now that MG has a solution, he now has to travel to Switzerland so that he can experience the problem that it will solve.

Wonderful
:lol:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Don't tease.

Actually, I hadn't realised that you can either watch 'live' or download and use within 30 days, which rather sorts the problem out before it is a problem.

Quite how it disappears in a puff of smoke after 30 days, I'm not sure, but I'm sure that can be fixed. I was going dizzy with that proxy stuff.

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi all! Wow. It works! (Well, hot tip from LV - what else?). Seriously pleased Rabbit in France...can now make a cuppa and settle down for my fave...Basil Brush. Yippee! Haven't seen that for ages.

As a complete non-techie, here are a few tips when following LV's instructions:

1. Note your IP address: http://whatismyipaddress.com. Easy peasy. All you need is pen and paper.
2. Go to proxy4free.com/page1.html and get your proxy IP address - a UK one, bien sûr. Make a note of the port, as well, as LV says. Easy peasy.
3. Go to Tools.....etc. Warning: you're supposed to be in Firefox, remember, not hunting for something to change in your PC's Configuration Panel (as I was, duh..)
4. Follow this path: Tools, Options, Advanced, Network, Settings
5. When you want to switch back to your usual IP address, simply check "Direct Connection to Internet".

Helpfully, it looks as though Firefox stores the proxy address (but don't know how long it remains valid, as LV notes), so you won't necessarily have to go back and get a new one (straightaway).

This is great LV, maybe I could set it up for guests at the houses, too?

Er, maybe this should be moved to Members Only? :? 8)

RR
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks...........got there in the end :D
Cheers
PC