INFORMATION ABOUT REGISTERING AS A GITE

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
joandpete

INFORMATION ABOUT REGISTERING AS A GITE

Post by joandpete »

We have a second home here in Brittany and we're thinking of renting it out as a holiday cottage. Is there any literature or information anywhere that anyone can recommend listing exactly how we go about registering it and setting it up as a company here and the paperwork involved.

I've heard that it is quite straightforward and would be grateful for any advice that can be offered.

Regards,

Jo
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jo,

I'm surprised that nobody has responded to your original posting. I don't want you to feel “lonely and frightened� so here we go.

If all you want to do is rent out your second home as a holiday cottage I would not even contemplate setting up a company and I certainly wouldn’t register with any official body. Neither is necessary but both would invite an unwelcome invasion of French bureaucrats.

My suggestion is that you make sure the cottage is up-to-scratch and to advertise it on two or three Rental Sites. The one thing you must do is include your net rental income in your UK tax returns.

Alan
joandpete

Post by joandpete »

Thanks Alan, and thanks for the reply! (was starting to feel a little 'lonely and frightened'!). I had heard that if the property is in France, then it has to be registered on your French Tax returns. Our place is a little complicated as we now live in France in a different house, but part own the property we want to rent with my sister and her husband, who still live in the UK. We were assuming we would pay any tax on it here in France, but declare it on the French and UK tax returns. Is that just over-complicating things?

jo
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jo,

As you are living in France, you should include your share of the rental income in your French Income Tax returns. As your sister and her husband are living in the UK they should include their share of the rental income in their UK Income Tax returns.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I didn't want to reply as I wasn't sure about where you declared your earnings if you still lived in the UK! But as you are living in France as Alan said any rental should be declared in France. Its not complcated but might be interested in looking at this thread as it is very informative for anyone letting property in France:
viewtopic.php?t=1257
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hang on... I thought that you had to declare your rental income in France whether or not you were living in France?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier to your post, Jo. We didn't sign up or register with any official body whatsoever... but then, we also didn't do a lot of research into whether we needed to. So I didn't want to give you bad advice! :)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

Income Tax conventions and rules in individual countries make it impossible to give a definitive answer to questions like this. The existence of Double Taxation Treaties makes the question even more difficult to answer.

As she puts it, Jo's case is a simple one and a simple answer will suffice. She is resident in France for tax purposes therefore she must declare to the French Tax Authorities her world-wide income. What her tax position might be with other countries is beyond the basic question and outside the information she has given.

Alan