air con auto switch off - Econoair

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
b_javea

air con auto switch off - Econoair

Post by b_javea »

Hi!

New to the forum - but been reading posts for a while now!

My first question... Has anyone tried this product..

http://www.econoair-eu.com/products.php

It switches off air-con units automatically when not in use - which could save a couple of hundred euros or more every summer.

Would be interested to know more - the price of each unit is expensive (plus vat and delivery)... and the cheaper model seems NOT to have the night mode... so you're forced to pay £69 plus vat for the wired-in model. Also - is there an alternative make around??

Also - whilst I'm here... we had someone break an ac remote (panasonic) and need to get a new one. Unfortunately a replacement is 85 euros!! I know you can get cheap (and cheap looking) generic ones on ebay - but is there a cheaper online store that sells the branded remotes??

Thanks
miss mouse

Re: air con auto switch off - Econoair

Post by miss mouse »

brett_javea wrote:Hi!

New to the forum - but been reading posts for a while now!

My first question... Has anyone tried this product..

http://www.econoair-eu.com/products.php

It switches off air-con units automatically when not in use - which could save a couple of hundred euros or more every summer.

Would be interested to know more - the price of each unit is expensive (plus vat and delivery)... and the cheaper model seems NOT to have the night mode... so you're forced to pay £69 plus vat for the wired-in model. Also - is there an alternative make around??

Also - whilst I'm here... we had someone break an ac remote (panasonic) and need to get a new one. Unfortunately a replacement is 85 euros!! I know you can get cheap (and cheap looking) generic ones on ebay - but is there a cheaper online store that sells the branded remotes??

Thanks
I have no idea about aircon but a multi-function replacement universal remote was in the region of £10 last time I bought one and readily available at department stores with electronics sections, probably also Argos and other places which sell mysterious bits of electronic kit eg Maplins but we don't break/lose them that often any more. They look and feel reasonable enough, not spectacularly 'cheap' looking. At E 85 someone must be having a laugh? Whether in my own home or another I just want stuff to work, I would not condemn a place because the remote looked cheap but am hacked-off when stuff does not work.
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
RichardHenshall

Re: air con auto switch off - Econoair

Post by RichardHenshall »

brett_javea wrote:... Also - whilst I'm here... we had someone break an ac remote (panasonic) and need to get a new one. Unfortunately a replacement is 85 euros!! I know you can get cheap (and cheap looking) generic ones on ebay - but is there a cheaper online store that sells the branded remotes?? ...
Why not set up a search on eBay with emailed notification? You might get lucky.

I bought a spare genuine Daikin remote in December on eBay for £6.80 (incl. postage) just to have available in case of loss or breakage.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I bought a universal A/C remote for the house at my local Euronics store. IIRC it was €16.50.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Just the post i was looking for! :) Bret did you end up purchasing this gadget and if so did it work ok for you?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I was looking for a similar product after reports of guests going out for the day leaving all AC units running. Last year we had a small flood when one AC outlet became blocked. Obviously the guests were not in the house when it happened!

I found these, which are nearly half the price of those mentioned in a previous post. May give them a try.

http://eco-energysavers.co.uk/index.html
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

unlike the other device this one doesn't seem to allow a compatibility test. Or am I missing something?

Mosue
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

According to the setup instructions, this one "learns" the IR off command by reading the signal from your AC remote. This code is then stored in flash memory.

I imagine the ones that do not learn the command, just send out enough signals that would make them compatible with most AC units.

It also does not seem to have any night mode so I may just buy the cheap ones for the rooms which are not bedrooms.

BTW the Econoair sense 2000 model does have night mode. I've just checked with the company.
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

My econoair units have arrived! I will report on their usefulness in may when I return.
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Great! Keep us posted :)
superpp

Post by superpp »

I'm tempted to try the cheap version.

Only concern I have is that the 'off signal' will trigger the A/C unit to beep. If this signal is repeatedly sent through the night (no movement being detected when a sleep) it would keep waking you up.
The company reckon set at 60 mins there would be enough movement to stop it happening.
brendan

Post by brendan »

I have the A/c control thingies fitted and they work very well. I do recommend them.

A word of warning however....I bought them and they duly arrived. I then paid a handyman (hourly rate) to install them. Many (expensive) hours later and after a lot of phonecalls to the selling agent it was decided that I had a faulty batch. So I had to wait for another batch to arrive which did indeed function. I was rather annoyed to be asked to return the faulty batch (costs to me) and to have NOT been offered an apology or some kind of compensation for the money I spent installing their ruddy useless ´batch´.
mario

Post by mario »

How annoying Brendan,lets hope you recover the cost pretty quick,Im looking to do the same,which model did you go for?.
brendan

Post by brendan »

the most expensive one i.e. with night setting etc.