Booking for bride's familly?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Isy

Booking for bride's familly?

Post by Isy »

Hello,
Maybe it is just me being too wary about weddings and people wrecking places after too many drinks, ongoing parties, unwanted guests etc... so I decided to put here my questions and seek your advices & experiences :
I got yesterday a email from a bride to be. She wants to book our villa for juin 2012 (for a week). The accomodation is for her familly (12 people).We can only take 10 people max but that s not my worry (she will have to make a decision about that). My concern is about their behaviour and the state of the place when they re gonna leave.
http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/france/fr9018.htm

Our place is right in the middle of a quiet bastide and I also concern about the level of noise.

What would you do ?Would you take the booking or not?
Have you had to deal with this kind of situation before ? What happened ?
Many thanks in advance for all your advices.
Isy
Tizfata

Re: Booking for bride's familly?

Post by Tizfata »

Isy wrote:The accomodation is for her familly (12 people).We can only take 10 people max but that s not my worry (she will have to make a decision about that). My concern is about their behaviour and the state of the place when they re gonna leave.
Actually, I am surprised you are not worried about 12 persons sqeezing into your beautiful home...
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Isy

Post by Isy »

Hi Tizfata, thanks for the answer. Don't worry when I said "she ll have to make a decision about that I meant no way I am gonna take 12 people she ll have to dropp 2". Our T&C are very strict about that : no squeezing allowed : it s 10 guests max.

Isy
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I agree with Tizfata that your home is beautiful and for that reason you need to tread carefully.

They are already looking to accommodate more than you say you can take, so a lot of searching questions would be in order before you make any commitment.

For example what nationality are they? If they are French with local ties they are likely to be less of a problem than Brits. Who are the people? Are they a couple of families with children or a group of young adults? If they are a group of young adults I would prefer not to have them, except perhaps with a hugely increased deposit. If they are an acceptable sort of group (to you) I would stress that the house is for the use of those renting it only and cannot be used as a general party venue and they would lose their (very large) deposit if this condition was broken.

I have allowed a group of Russians and Polish who came for the wedding of a Russian/Polish couple who actually live locally here. There was a granny involved and everything was perfect.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

pepsipuss wrote:There was a granny involved and everything was perfect.
:D
Guys, wish me luck with a group coming the day after tomorrow...
No grannies involed here... :?
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
pujols

noisy

Post by pujols »

They will be noisy....mainly due to lots of alcohol....Lots of screaching cars.
I hope that you are nearby to check whats going on....i hope that your rates are higher than those quoted.
Have you a pool?
pete

Post by pete »

We often have the close family of the bride staying, they book all the rooms and usually stay at least the weekend, they are predominantly french although the last lot mainly lived in america.

Apart from the night of the wedding when they come back really late/early morning we have never been disturbed or been put off, indeed the groups are easier to manage than the individual wedding bookings.

But we are here, on the premises.

We are expecting the next lot tomorrow, they are taking dinner here and staying until tuesday as its the fete de Pouilly on monday,

Sometimes other people appear but no one has ever taken advantage of us as we hear can happen,

what ever you decide good luck,

pete
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I've had a few guests coming into town for family weddings/graduations, etc. and have had no problem at all - they weren't really in my house much because they were busy with family. They were all Americans (if that makes a difference.)
Marks

Post by Marks »

They have enquired for 12 people, your maximum is 10. Simple answer, it's not available then you don't have the worry. I don't even get into a conversation with enquirers looking to squeeze in more than the maximum of 4 I stipulate.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
lorca

Post by lorca »

We had an American Filipino family come over for a wedding. Actually it was a young couple and they came to have their wedding blessed (they´d had a state wedding in the US).

Both sets of inlaws and various brothers, sisters and children. They turned up with several more children than requested (and our maximum) but the young couple seemed so anxious we let it go with fingers (and other parts) crossed. However the place was left immaculately clean - nothing broken and all the linen washed and dried (!!!!). They seemed to have had a great time (despite the MILs obviously hating each other.So you never can tell.
If not now, when?
Isy

Post by Isy »

Thanks everybody for your inputs.

@Tizfata : good luck for Saturday!

I know Lorca, "you can never tell" but since I am not living on site I prefer not to gamble and turn them down.

@Pujols: Yes, we have a pool.

@Pepsipuss : I was tempted a bit to ask more questions about the bride's familly but as Marks pointed out the lady(british citizen) wanted to squeeze more people that we can take so that put me off. Plus she asked me if we were accepting dogs... Alarm bells started to go off in my head.

So my decision is made. Thanks again.
Isy
lorca

Post by lorca »

I think you made the right decision Isy
If not now, when?
enid

Post by enid »

we've never had problems with wedding groups so I'm sure it will be fine
Martha

Post by Martha »

Isy, I feel you have made the right decision. After my recent (and current!) experience with the same scenario, I would feel very cautious - link here (they arrive on Monday btw!)
viewtopic.php?t=15357

I am still not against wedding groups but would be very wary about people who try and push the boundaries when booking as it may mean they don't respect them once they are in - especially as we are not on site.

Good luck to you too Tizfata!
Last edited by Martha on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Isy

Post by Isy »

Thanks again everybody.
@Martha : I just read the thread you posted and I really feel for you!Good luck for Monday.