best use of rooms advice needed please

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

How often are you likely to have three couples needing three doubles compared to other family/friend groups who would have different needs?
fionac wrote:This is a really good question. And one I have no idea how to find the answer to!!
I think on balance, seeing as we only have a double and a single in place so far and will need to buy the other two doubles they may as well be zip link. Only downside I can see is that the one in the room with the single will have to be a 5 foot due to space. Can fit a 6ft in one room and already have a double in the other.
Yes it's hard when you are trying to second guess a market that you know very little about! However, don't be swayed by what you already have, just because you have a single, doesn't mean you have to keep it. Ebay and other second hand outlets make things easy enough to get rid of. Once you've bought a bed you won't be in a hurry to change it, so start with the best combination.

Don't try and be all things to everyone, but by having the zip link options you have plenty of viable combinations for guests. If you can sleep 6 comfortably then do you really need to offer sleep 7 by having the single in with the double? Personally I'd go more upmarket and have space available rather than cramming beds in just because you can! How about having space for a cot or perhaps a z-bed for occasional use in the largest double?

Incidentally whilst I wouldn't recommend 2'6" beds, I unfortunately have no choice as my bedrooms are tiny, so in my twin room only 2'6" fit. When I had a choice with my new property, I bought a 3' single with a smaller single under, so there is more space when only one bed is needed and I can fit a cot if required.

Sorry GB, I wouldn't want to make you grumpy, but sometimes a girl has no choice. :wink:
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Many thanks Greenbarn.

Here's the link:

http://www.countryholidaylets.co.uk/lan ... o-pack.htm

It is a guide and we think it helpful to share this sort of information.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I agree with those who can't see the advantage of 'sleeps 7' in your situation and would agree that a 3ft ziplink wins hands down over the double and single. Not that many people have 6ft beds even nowadays and we frequently find guests commenting on how great they are and that they will be pushing them up their priority list at home!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nemo wrote:
Sorry GB, I wouldn't want to make you grumpy, but sometimes a girl has no choice. :wink:
You've been secretly advising Mrs Greenbarn, haven't you?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Greenbarn wrote:
Nemo wrote:
You've been secretly advising Mrs Greenbarn, haven't you?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Is it that bad GB........? You have my sympathies, but on the other hand she's married to you. I guess it takes two as they say........ :wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

pepsipuss wrote:I agree with those who can't see the advantage of 'sleeps 7' in your situation and would agree that a 3ft ziplink wins hands down over the double and single. Not that many people have 6ft beds even nowadays and we frequently find guests commenting on how great they are and that they will be pushing them up their priority list at home!
Yes we only have a queen size at home and I'm pushing for a king next time! It's part of the pleasure of going away I think - all that space.........! The last hotel we stayed in had a super king (7' I think?)........I literally lost my husband and never saw him until the morning. :lol:
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

I am really pleased we decided to go for a king size bed in our holiday cottage for 2. It was a bit of a worry when we bought the bed as the renovation wasn't complete, and we couldn't quite envisage how much head room there would be - the bedroom is in the eaves - but actually the space is much wider than expected and the king size bed has been a huge selling point. Knowing that now makes me very glad I didn't go for a standard double!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

What is queen size in the UK? I thought king size was 160cm and super king 180cms, but maybe I'm wrong?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

la vache! wrote:What is queen size in the UK? I thought king size was 160cm and super king 180cms, but maybe I'm wrong?
According to J Lewis:

Small single W75 x L190cm
Single W90 x L190cm
Small double W120 x L190cm
Double W135 x L190cm
Kingsize W150 x L200cm
Super kingsize W180 x L200cm
Super kingsize zipped and linked W180 x L200cm

Queensize doesn't seem to exist any more!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

All of which is why I prefer to describe my beds by actual measurement and HATE it when I am required to tick boxes which describe them as queen etc :roll: :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

So my queen size is now known as king, and the bed we stayed in was superking zipped and linked at least! Imperial descriptions/measurements are disappearing too fast for little ol me. :(

So I want a superking then...... 8)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for that GG! It was what I thought too (continental sizes are 10cm wider than UK sizes).
I suppose ultimately it depends on the size of the room. I'm happy that all my doubles are now 160cm x 200cm with room for a bedside table on each side (and much more in most bedrooms.)
Having bigger beds than the standard double in France has definitely got me bookings.
I don't see the point in getting a larger size if it means one side of the bed will be wedged against a wall because the room isn't big enough!
Last edited by la vache! on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

la vache! wrote:I suppose ultimately it depends on the size of the room. I'm happy that all my doubles are now 160cm x 200cm with room for a bedside table on each side (and much more in most bedrooms.) I don't see the point in getting a larger size if it means one side of the bed will be wedged against a wall because the room isn't big enough!
Agree 100% - no one wants to have to clamber over their partner to get in and out of bed and everyone wants a bedside light (or I assume they do?)

dizza2560

Post by dizza2560 »

Hello everyone,

I hadn`t checked for a while, but wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied.
We eventually signed up with Sykes rather than Cottages4u, mainly because of the flexibility to book pur own weeks, but also we felt the support would be better for us newbies. I have to say we have been very pleased, Sykes have been professional and friendly.
We went live 3 weeks ago, and decided on sleeps 8, 2 doubles, 1 single and 1 triple room, keeping the dining room as that, and putting a smaller table in the kitchen.
So far, although there is only an external photo as we are refurbishing, we have had 2 weeks booked, one in July and one in August, interestingly both are bringing 2 pets. So fingers crossed when the internal photos go on things should pick up more (we hope)
Thanks to everyone who contributes to the forum, I am not sure I would have had the confidence to go ahead without the wealth of information available.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My apartment has a double, but it is 140cmx200cm.