Emails no longer being forwarded to bt

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Nemo

Emails no longer being forwarded to bt

Post by Nemo »

I am absolutely tearing my hair out here!

As at yesterday all my emails from my server (TSO host) have stopped being forwarded to BT. I thought at first it was my computer plus Outlook, but when checking on my BT acct, realised nothing was getting through.

I have been dealing with TSO support and this was their reply
"I can see that BT/Yahoo are temporary deferring these messages. In the logs I can see:-

"SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: host mx1.bt.mail.yahoo.com [212.82.111.207]: 421 4.7.0 [TS02] Messages from 188.65.115.24 temporarily deferred"

So unfortunately they are the cause of the delay at the present time."

They appear to be saying there is nothing I can do and I just need to use their server from now on. Huh?

I currently use BT/Outlook for all my forwarded emails so I don't want to try and set up some new system overnight just because of what must be a relatively trivial matter?
gam

Post by gam »

Oh the misery that is BTYahoo :roll:

That message means that Yahoo have decided that the sending server (TSO) has "unusual traffic" or has been the source of complaint from their customers. Having been a customer of theirs for at least 10 years (btinternet then BTYahoo), there always seems to be problems.

If you Google 421 4.7.0 you'll get more info.

Your choices are to leave it a few hours and it will go away or fill out this form if it doesn't. See here and here too.

Is there any reason why you can't just add your TSO email account to Outlook rather than the intermediary step of going via BTYahoo?
Escape to the Country - the story of a lifestyle change and other cheesy clichés
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks gam that is a lot more use than the answer I got from tso!
gam wrote: Is there any reason why you can't just add your TSO email account to Outlook rather than the intermediary step of going via BTYahoo?
If it is very temporary than I'll cope. I haven't got Outlook set up for this address simply because its a bit tecchie for me and I haven't needed to. Outlook has been set up for years and I simply forwarded my new email to BT so I had a copy there and then by default they arrived in Outlook.

However I'll look at configuring it over the weekend (if I figure out how. :)

I guess I've been lucky in that at my current address, I have not had problems with BT so have always been happy with them. It's not till something like this happens that you regret your reliance on them!