Property description???

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
booboo

Property description???

Post by booboo »

Hi all, I am having trouble with our property description, I will try my best to briefly explain!
Our house has three floors, built into a hillside. Each floor can only be accessed from the outside of the building eg; there is no internal stairs.
The washroom plus some empty rooms are on the bottom floor.
The top is just used for storage at the moment.

We are renting out only the middle floor just for now. This has has a shower with sink etc and seperate toilet. Then the kitchen, sitting area and bedroom are all one big room. My dilemma is what do we call this? I dont want to call it a flat or apartment as I feel it might put people off who are hoping to be the only occupants in the building, which in fact the case.
However, by calling it a house, am I deceiving people?
Also, we are in the very early stages of starting a lavender farm, so it will be 3 to 4 years before visitors would be able to have a true lavender experience. So should we mention this in our first year of advertising - not wanting to deceive people who visit this year?
All advise gratefully received.
Jimbo

Re: Property description???

Post by Jimbo »

booboo wrote: However, by calling it a house, am I deceiving people?
Wouldn't have thought so. Just make it clear in your copy what your accommodation comprises and that your guests will be the only occupants.
... a true lavender experience.
Don't think it's wise to advertise something that won't available when your guests are staying. We've replaced a lot of ageing lavenders here and it's not the fastest growing shrub. 'Buddleia farm' and maybe you could risk it!
Jim
Little Villa

Post by Little Villa »

What about 'self-contained accommodation on one level with own access by external staircase. The rest of the house is unoccupied as we use the other rooms for storage and cleaning equipment.'

Perhaps you could mention your future plans for the lavender farm. We've only got a few bushes, but they actually grow like crazy.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Little Villa on a Hill wrote:What about 'self-contained accommodation on one level with own access by external staircase. The rest of the house is unoccupied as we use the other rooms for storage and cleaning equipment.'
With a clear photo illustrating the access maybe?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I would be inclined not to use the word House in describing the accommodation itself...but use expressions like

self-contained farmhouse apartment
self-contained open-plan apartment on old lavender Farm
open-plan farmhouse apartment with its own entrance
spacious open plan apartment for two in restored farmhouse

?

I think that would be enough to catch my eye - then I would read on and you would explain about the space, the views, the privacy, the restoration, the youthful lavender farm etc...

P.s. I couldn't see a pic of the living/sleeping accommodation - I think that's important. When I'm looking for a place to rent I make a quick judgement as to whether it will suit us from the photos and the first few lines. Only then do I read more thoroughly.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

"spacious open plan apartment for two in restored farmhouse" gets my vote. :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

"standalone apartment in restored farmhouse?"

It really is an apartment so I think you do need to use the word. You can go on in the supporting text to clarify the set-up for your visitors.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I second/third tavi/KathyG. :D That sounds good.

I would certainly mention or have a linked blog to your plans for the lavender. It could be quite exciting, especially if you create an exhibit or something tangible for guests to look at/read etc.

You may have guests that will want to return in the future to see your progress!
Giddy Goat

Re: Property description???

Post by Giddy Goat »

booboo wrote:I dont want to call it a flat or apartment as I feel it might put people off who are hoping to be the only occupants in the building, which in fact the case.
That's why I suggested to use the description "standalone" Nemo but if you didn't like that word there needs to be some other way of qualifying "apartment" I thought?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
booboo

Post by booboo »

Thanks so much for all your replys! Certainly a lot to think about! Some great ideas. Hubby having a snooze right now,I will have to wait till he wakes to run it all by him.

@Tavi , I agree with what you say about the sleeping/living area. I was'nt happy with the way it looked in the photos, I have decided to paint that area a differant colour.
I bought the paint a few days ago, now I am trying to find the enthusiasm.
I would certainly mention or have a linked blog to your plans for the lavender. It could be quite exciting, especially if you create an exhibit or something tangible for guests to look at/read etc.

You may have guests that will want to return in the future to see your progress!
I like the idea of mentioning the lavender. I have plenty of plant pots that I will be filling with Lavender this spring for the veranda and have planted lots around the house We have 700 babies to plant out this year, it may sound a lot but it really only covers a small area.Also my research tells me that whatever business your staring its best to start advertising from the very begining. I think as long as I make it clear that we are only a startup farm and dont yet offer the full experience.
Sorry if I've gone on a lot, beginers nerves, it being our first year and we are totally new to this!
Thanks again for all the suggestions :)
booboo

Post by booboo »

Little Villa on a Hill wrote:
Perhaps you could mention your future plans for the lavender farm. We've only got a few bushes, but they actually grow like crazy.
:D :D :D