Should I change my lead photograph ?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
dizza2560

Should I change my lead photograph ?

Post by dizza2560 »

Hello everyone,

In 2 weeks time our photographer is coming to do our shots for our property. Since it went live with Sykes at the start of January only one photograph has been available for potential guests to view as we have been refurbishing. It is an external shot of the property taken on a November day and the garden is not shown at its best as it too needed an overhaul.

My question is, should I change the lead photograph from external to internal ? The new external shot will obviously be better as flowers are in bloom and the garden has had a lot of work done - weeding, pruning etc.

The reason I ask it that I am concerned that people who have browsed before may dismiss the property with a similar external lead shot, thinking there are still no internal shots to view.

Also once the photos are on the Sykes website is it ok for me to ask for a website review in that forum ? I would love feedback on what we have done and the photographs.

Thanks in anticipation.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Hi dizza2560, some general advice on photos here:

www.laymyhat.com/newsletters/newsletter1.htm#tips

www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/info/owner-re ... otos-guide

I would always go for a great external photo as the no. 1 shot.

I suppose the exception is where the outside of the property is not very attractive, or you have a wow view or pool.

Most renters will look for a good external photo and short list off those, and you risk being skipped over if you don't have one. I wouldn’t worry about past browsers, they have probably already chosen somewhere - future potential renters are the key.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

I entirely agree. Try to make sure there is blue sky and strong contrast.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

To me, the lead photograph should always be the image that best illustrates the most compelling reason for people wanting to book with you. The picture that sells the dream. This can be - often is - an exterior view of your property. Or it could be a view from your property towards a wonderful landscape or seascape. Or it might be a sumptuous interior shot. Or even a view of something unrelated (like, say, the Olympic Stadium, if you're just around the corner or the fabulous vineyard where your property is located).

It's tricky, too, when you have a multi-property complex - like ours - where each of the gites is very different. Which to choose to illustrate the whole? Eventually, we decided on a pool shot montaged with a picture of each gite - which is OK. But I'm always wondering if there is a simpler and more elegant solution to this puzzle.

Just make sure that your photographer gives you a wide range of photographs from the forthcoming shoot. Eventually, you'll find uses for all of them.
Jim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

In an ideal world an exterior shot is best, but as has been said here that is not always the best shot. I do not use an exterior shot as that will not best sell the sort of lovely holiday they will have if they come! My exteriors are really quite off putting so I use a variety of shots, the decking looking out to sea, the interior of the lounge or the view of the beach on different listings etc to promote my place.

Horses for courses and you must use the best of whatever you have. :)
Marks

Post by Marks »

The USP of my apartment is the large solarium so the lead shot is of the solarium with sun loungers set up, pool towels on each, parasols up, table & chairs and BBQ in view plus the all important blue sky. I change the shot occasionally when the parasols are changed but the new shot is always taken from the same angle. Works for me.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.