Advice or opinion needed please

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Redfox

Advice or opinion needed please

Post by Redfox »

Hi all,

Well I am a year on in my hunt for my ideal holiday let been looking in the Scottish Borders. I have found this 3 bed cottage style terrace that looks lovley and looks perfect as an investment/Holiday let.

The thing is its allready being used by the present owner as a FHL and I see it is advertised with Sykes.

Now then my question it does it look ideal? ok its just pictures but opinions most welcome, there does not seem to be many bookings on the calendar if you look for it on the Sykes website. But I decided to hunt around for it and in the grand scheme of things I think they are not really pushing it too well (the owner) they dont even seem to have there own website.

If anyone out there who knows the ropes can tell me if it is advertised well or poorley or give me some advice, hope you know what I mean :D

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 10941.html

http://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/ ... -8482.html

Rob
tavi

Post by tavi »

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... miumA=true

buy this one please? it's so cute, got a garden, in a real village with a pub, even has a red telephone box outside. You'd have American tourists queuing to rent it from you!

It's really tiny though, and you'd need to get rid of the curtains!

The other one doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid, although the interior looks perfectly nice....it's just too, well, normal. :)
Val

Post by Val »

IMO the property is very attractive; I like the tower which is a really unusual feature. You would have thiought there would be more bookings on the calendar though. May I say the interior is somewhat dated? and if I was buying this as a potential holiday let I would want to refurbish it to a much higher standard, including refitting the kitchen, new flooring, the lot . This would improve bookings; why would anyone want to book a holiday in a property furnished to a lower standard than their own home? People want a bit of a WOW factor.

They may not have their own website due to their agreement with Sykes : we were told we could advertise ourselves, but via non-internet means.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Hi Rob

It looks to me that it has huge potential and could be smartened up a lot initially without a massive amount of investment - for example by changing the doors on the kitchen cupboards and making the most of that lovely deck and gardens.

You ask if we think it´s been advertised well. Tavi´s response says it all - s/he seems to think they´re different properties (unless it was a joke...). With a bit of thought and effort it could be transformed.

As for bookings - this is not a good year to judge. I see from other LMH posters in Scotland that some are struggling this year.
If not now, when?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

As for bookings - this is not a good year to judge. I see from other LMH posters in Scotland that some are struggling this year
I'm near the Scottish Borders - tell me about it. :(
lorca

Post by lorca »

a long way from Scotland here and bookings 70% down on last year (I kid you not) :roll:
If not now, when?
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

It looks like a lovely property, recent build, lovely views....lots going for it. Looks like it's not far from the amenities of the village without being on a main road.

I agree with the others that the decor has to be updated but I don't think you need to refit the kitchen or anything too heavy but please get rid of the Granny chairs....:)

It seems its situation on a hill and external wooden staircase would exclude clients with mobility issues. However the internal spiral staircase might put off families or others. Also I would look at the current running costs as it is all electric.

As others have said this might be a slow year, maybe if you ask how many weeks were rented in the past few years this will give you an idea of rental potential - given the emptyish calendar I would want to be sure that unsatisfactory bookings are not one of the reasons they are selling.
tavi

Post by tavi »

just to be clear:

I looked at the one in question, on both Sykes and Rightmove. It's just that I prefer the thatched cottage (which I linked) down the road.

A gut feeling I suppose, but logical in the sense that you're entering a very competitive market, in the middle of an economic crisis, so a "niche market" property might be the way to go.

The very best of luck, Rob, whatever you decide to do.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

ccazes wrote:given the emptyish calendar I would want to be sure that unsatisfactory bookings are not one of the reasons they are selling.
I don't know what other properties of similar size in the area charge, but it may well be • that they are smarter and more up to date in their presentation, yet asking similar rates. It's a good looking property otherwise and has nice views. • How are other properties of similar size doing in the area? In other words, is this a popular area for holidaymakers? (Forgive me for being unfamiliar with the geography up there!) • If so and they are all pretty strapped for bookings, is this simply a reflection of the economic climate?

Three possible reasons for the lack of bookings ie ....
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Tavi, if I had to choose which cottage to rent it would definitely be the thatched one! as an American I would want to experience something unique, not a townhouse like I could get here...

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
tavi

Post by tavi »

Oh Wendy, I'm so glad to hear that. I thought I was on my own here.

:)
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Definitely not Tavi! :)

Not that this helps the original poster... hard decision to make when you are looking for a rental. Is this area someplace that people travel to? historical, touristy, fishing, hunting?
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

tavi wrote:I thought I was on my own here. :)
No Tavi, of course not - I think some of us were focussing only on the property Redfox had narrowed his search down to. The thatched cottage is charming but we don't know what search criteria RF has been using.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
tavi

Post by tavi »

A very hard decision and many different options to take into account.

I don't exactly know the area either. Rob will be able to enlighten us further but in his absence I'll just say that it's known as the Scottish Borders.

So it's just over the border from England into Scotland. Quite pretty scenery, not far from Edinburgh (I think) and the sort of place you might want to stop halfway through a driving tour of GB & Ireland?
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I agree that the thatched cottage is picture perfect... but that 2nd bedroom is small even for a single, there wasn't even a photo of it and that makes me wonder if it was just too awkward to take the photo given the lack of space. Also the thatch has to be replaced so you know you are looking at a hefty bill at one point.
Also as a potential renter I would be worried that it is so close to a road. It's not a B road but if you have steady passing traffic directly in front of the cottage windows (or any traffic at all for that matter) it's not great and how can a renter be sure before booking?