Is a dog bath worth the expense?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Sammy

Is a dog bath worth the expense?

Post by Sammy »

Hi,

Currently renovating our holiday let, and it will be dog friendly. I am thinking of providing a dog bath like this: http://www.boosterbath.com, with an electric shower providing the hot water in one of the outbuildings.
In your opinion is it worth the expense of the dog bath, plumbing and a shower - or do you think people will just wash the dog in the bath in the house anyway??

I have a feeling that we will always get some people who will not want to wash "my darling little Trickywoo" outside!!

Thanks for your help.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Bit extreme I think Sammy! I would expect most dogs would just get the hosepipe if they're filthy, our dogs get a proper bath only about once a year, I doubt anyone would shampoo their dogs on holiday...... :shock:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Thanks KathyG! Can you tell we don't have any dogs or any experience of keeping a dog?!!
It's always good to sound ideas out, no matter how stupid they are!
Thanks for your reply.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I just asked our dog what she thought of the idea, and she said I must be barking mad. As for the "You stay dry" claim, they've obviously never tried washing a dog in the bath themselves. :roll:

We provide a flexi bucket and sponge, a towel and some dog shampoo (mainly because I like the name - "Woof 'n Go" :D ) and there's an outside tap. It gets used (don't know about the "Woof 'n Go") mainly because any dog around here is going to get muddy. Some owners use warm water. Post-walk, our dog gets slung in the freezing beck that runs along the bottom of our garden, which seems to work; she hasn't left home yet.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

We have an outside shower, with hot and cold water, which the dog can use if it chooses, and we have kiddies paddling pools in the kennels - which the dogs actually love if ever it gets hot - so not this summer.

Some people do rinse their dogs. Salt water is not brilliant for their coats.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How about an outside tap and hose, a variable spray attachment and a large plastic tub (if there isn't a drain handy)? Together with some old towels.

I do think you can go too far (you should see some of the poor ponies at my stables with doting* Mums. Pauvre betes!)

My horse gets a hose-down every year or so, whether he needs it or not.

Mols

(ps * doting = frustrated empty nester)
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Thanks for all your replies, I think I will just go for the outside tap/hose idea.
Reading your replies I came to the conclusion it was rather OTT..!

Thanks again,
Sam
Laurel

Post by Laurel »

The raised bath may be a bit OTT but it's great that you're thinking of what would be practical and useful to provide for dogs and their owners.

It would be brilliant to provide somewhere convenient to wash 'em before they come in the house when they come back muddy, or ridiculously happy after finding that particular stinky something to roll in.

The perfect system in my opinion would be an (ideally covered) outdoor space with tap, hose and bucket for the washing part. Followed by access to a utility room, porch or similar closed-off, easy-clean area where they can be given a good rub before being left to dry with a couple of old towels on the floor.

None of this is strictly necessary but giving thought to the 'wet dog' issue will be very much appreciated by your pet loving guests and will definitely minimise the amount of muck brought into the house.