Morocco

For topics that are specific to a country not covered above, please go here.
mpprh

Morocco

Post by mpprh »

Easyjet are already cutting back on flights :

Now Ryanair are making deep cuts :

Ryanair, Europe’s only ultra low cost airline, today (28 June) announced the cancellation of 34 weekly flights (250,000 annual passengers) to/from Morocco because ONDA, the Moroccan Govt’s airports authority, has reneged on its agreement with the airline by imposing a new monopoly handling company on Ryanair which would have resulted in a massive increase in charges for the airline. ONDA has refused to guarantee Ryanair the continuation of the cost levels of its original agreement. Consequently, Ryanair has no alternative but to announce substantial reductions to its flight programme to Moroccan airports which will include reductions of 8 weekly frequencies at Nador, 6 at Fez, 8 at Marrakesh, 4 at Tangier and the complete closure of its operation at Oujda Airport (8 weekly frequencies).

More : http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair- ... t-on-costs
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
CSE

Post by CSE »

Not good for the country's tourism, but have you seen this about Ryanair?
http://www.preferente.com/transportes/n ... 31783.html
Sorry it is in Spanish, but I think you will get the gist...Ryanair has received €793,000,000,000 in subsidies to fly into various airports in Europe. Nice money whist you can make it. Hopefully this ransom money will come to an end.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

casasantoestevo wrote:Not good for the country's tourism, but have you seen this about Ryanair?
http://www.preferente.com/transportes/n ... 31783.html
Sorry it is in Spanish, but I think you will get the gist...Ryanair has received €793,000,000,000 in subsidies to fly into various airports in Europe. Nice money whist you can make it. Hopefully this ransom money will come to an end.
The EU have had many similar enquiries but none have been held against Ryanair yet. Currently Nimes and Carcassonne are being investigated locally.
It seems to hinge on a complex definition of "illegal" subsidy. Receiving a contribution to marketing costs is not illegal unless you can prove that it was not available to another carrier.
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
John & Yasmine FATIHA

Post by John & Yasmine FATIHA »

To be honest I regret Ryanair's decision, BUT also "understand" ONDA's decision.....

It needs some background info to understand this message in his essence.
The background info is as follows.....
Moroccan investors are investing on huge scale in carriers, for example there is a TUI / Moroccan joint venture called Jet4U.
JetAirFly (also TUI) "codeshares" with Jet4U.

And there is an other joint venture, called AirArabia, I think Emirate Airlines is involved in that one.

There is another issue that should be taken into account, this issue is that Royal Air Maroc (RAM) is suffering HUGELY from them low cost carriers....
RAM is for a big part (if not 100%) owned by Morocco.
And, as far as I have heard / understood / read in local papers the king has made some promisses towards RAM and gave them a creditline to evolve more into a price-fighter.

all with all, I could see reasons why RyanAir would be "pushed" out of the market by Moroccan authorities in favour of earlier described reasons......
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

casasantoestevo wrote:Ryanair has received €793,000,000,000 in subsidies to fly into various airports in Europe.
Sorry, Casa, but that's just a bit of an exaggeration - it's €793,000,000 not €793 billion! So a drop in the ocean by comprison.

Lord knows, I am no fan of the Irish piranha, but if he had €793 billion, then to be sure he would donate it all to solve the Euro debt crisis in one simple move! (And then become President for life!) :lol:

It's all a bit tough on Morocco, though - a country which I love visiting - fundamentally it's due to perceptions of danger in the wake of the "Arab Spring"; and if people aren't wanting to go there, then airlines aren't going to fly there (which itself is a vicious spiral, because as there are fewer flights, so fewer visitors will go!)

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Yep too many 00000000000000000. Sorry.
But look at the figures.
793 million Euros in payments equals only
80 million passengers
Something is not right.

Going back to Morocco I would have thought they would be gaining holiday makers from the more troubled spots along North Africa, or is it a case of being unfortunately tarred with the same brush?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Yes, knock-on effects. Morocco still has some unfinished business hanging over from last year too.
I guess people are simply avoiding the entire Magreb as a precaution.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
John & Yasmine FATIHA

Post by John & Yasmine FATIHA »

I would rather say:
"Yes and No"
Morocco is trying to build for Tourists (meaning tourist not originating from Moroccan residents living outside the Moroccan borders).
Morocco is doing a charm offensive and is throwing in huge campaigns to try to attract these tourists (as they usually take more money and spent more money then group 2 I describe here-under). These tourists could be more or less avoiding the region.

On the other hand a vast amount of the "tourists" Morocco counts are in fact Moroccan residents living outside the Moroccan borders or offspring, visiting their original country and / or family.
These "tourists" wont be affected by doubts.....

The third group of "tourists" Morocco has is a group that also brings in loads of foreign valuta's and spends hugely but who wouldn't be afraid of Arab springs etc.
Namely Arabs, by which I mean Gulf state Arabs.
Thy tend to visit Morocco for several reasons, sex tourism isn't the smallest part of those reasons....

All with all I tend to believe Moroccan Authorities who are still showing a slight increase in visiting tourist-numbers (they count the mix)
On the other hand, I don't think 2012 will show similar data as preceeding years and I do think speed of increase is dropping, of course the crisis would be to blame
tazmaniandevil

Cheap flights Morocco

Post by tazmaniandevil »

Hi,
Easyjet and Ryanair have cut back on all their flights,the same as many others worldwide.
Prices have increased , but my enquiries for BUDGET holiday rentals in Morocco, are very healthy.
Sell the" dream" holiday location, with owner verification, and honest reviews, it works.