1st GUEST ARRIVING and Bedroom TV Not Working!!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
croatian_villa

1st GUEST ARRIVING and Bedroom TV Not Working!!

Post by croatian_villa »

Hi there, I have my first guest arriving in a week or 2 however the TV in the bedroom does not have a satellite signal. The agency assured me they could get this resolved. Appears however it needs more equipment installed to the satellite dish and he is too busy to do work before guest arrives. And I cannot resolve as Im thousands of miles away.

The agency suggests I connect DVD player in bedroom and state the TV is for DVD's. Im panicking now as its my First Guest!!

Should I contact the Guest and apologise stating this is the situation and that large TV in living room has satellite if they want to watch. Should I be offering a discount for this?

Any advice appreciated.. First Guest and want to try and make good impression!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Do you make a big thing of a TV in the bedroom in your publicity? If so could be a problem if your guests are picky!

I have sat. TV in the living area and normal digital channels (ie Italian channels) on the TV in the bedroom.

However, since my guests are 99% English or English language I'm seriously considering taking the bedroom TV away this winter for obvious reasons and do guests really come to watch telly in bed?

You could explain that there is a problem with the satellite set-up which the engineer is unable to fix immediately and hope that this won't detract from a lovely holiday out and about :wink:

I certainly wouldn't mention anything about discounts or refunds.

Try not to worry - difficult I know especially with First Guests :)
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Does the bedroom tv have satellite or just local programmes? If local only and guests are not local chances are they won't watch it anyway.
If satellite I would go with your managers suggestion of hooking up the DVD player. Then send email to guests saying you hope it won't inconvenience them too much and that you've hooked it up to DVD player instead. Chance are they won't be bothered. Don't mention refunds etc. You'll be fine!
croatian_villa

Post by croatian_villa »

Hi. The Television does not have Satellite TV or Normal TV as the reception is bad in this room.

I am going to get them to take away the satellite decoder and just leave a DVD Player in the room and if they mention anything will say it was intended just for DVD player to watch movies. I don't want to make a big deal about it as it may not be an issue for them.

To be honest most of the Satellite Channels are in German/French or Croatian anyway so English and other countries probably couldn't gain much apart from maybe CNN or Sky News..

Fingers crossed it wont cause an issue. Im guessing most families would sit together in the lounge watching TV in the evening together anyway and not hide away in the bedroom :-)
falbayview

Post by falbayview »

sounds like you need a twin lnb fitted to your dish like this:

Code: Select all

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-boxed-twin-output-digital-satellite-lnb-0-3db-digital-universal-40mm-collar-/251094502841?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_LNBs&hash=item3a76660db9
together with some cable running to the bedroom like this:

Code: Select all

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25m-DIGITAL-COAXIAL-AERIAL-SATELLITE-SKY-COAX-CABLE-RG6-FREEVIEW-WHITE-/160674220107?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2568ee084b
pity your agent has let you down and i would go with the short term solution of dvd player on the tv, but long term set it up yourself with the kit above.

as has been said, i would send apologetic email stating dvd tv instead of satellite but make no mention of refund... they probably won't be bothered about no tv in the bedroom anyway.
croatian_villa

Post by croatian_villa »

Thats what the engineer said. A dual LNB is required!. I actually have 4 LNBs on the Satellite picking up different Sat Networks (Hot Bird, Astra, Thor etc).

I plan on getting this sorted on my next visit in August. Its a pity the agent cant resolve it quicker.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I know it's natural to be nervous before first guests, but I really don't think you need to be - imho guests are unlikely to watch TV in bed anyway, being far more likely to swig local hooch under the stars and enjoying the (hopefully warm) weather.

We had sat TV in our living area and nowhere else, so I wouldn't let it bother you.

What you could do is make it absolutely clear that the second TV is for watching DVDs (maybe kids?) and plugging in games consoles - that might stop the b*ggers ripping all the leads out of the main TV to plug in their bloody Playstations! :twisted: Actually, that's a great idea - you could be onto a winner here and save yourself one of the biggest problems we all have - when guests fiddle behind the TV and screw the whole system up.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
croatian_villa

Post by croatian_villa »

Good Idea. Currently the Playstation is in the lounge. I could move this down to the bedroom and suggest its a Games and DVD area only.

Ill update my Sales literature to Say TV in bedroom with DVD player and Games Console and not mention channels or satellite.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Boy do I recognise that scenario. Tv b#### d up by a teenager with a Playstation. I had thought of putting a clause in TCs that it was not allowed but thought it might actually put in idea in their heads that wasn't there before!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

How can a Playstation mess up a TV, out of interest? I have a Playstation and Wii and it is just a matter of plugging and unplugging cables if your TV doesn't have enough ports for everything.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

la vache! wrote:How can a Playstation mess up a TV, out of interest? I have a Playstation and Wii and it is just a matter of plugging and unplugging cables if your TV doesn't have enough ports for everything.
Indeed, LV, how can they? But they can, and if you are non resident (like us) you never know whether the TV, Sat, DVD etc work as per your guest literature or not! They pull out connectors at will, play their machines, then stuff connectors back in at random (if you're lucky). Our cleaners, whilst very good, couldn't spell "system-connection" and couldn't be expected to notice that things didn't work. It's one of the drawbacks of being an absentee owner (makes up for the 11.00 pm call-outs we don't get!)

Never underestimate the awesome power of human stupidity (especially when on holiday).

Molsy
Marks

Post by Marks »

Moliere wrote:Never underestimate the awesome power of human stupidity (especially when on holiday)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure every holiday airport has a row of 'left brains' lockers near the 'left luggage' area :lol:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

kyreniagirl wrote:Boy do I recognise that scenario. Tv b#### d up by a teenager with a Playstation. I had thought of putting a clause in TCs that it was not allowed but thought it might actually put in idea in their heads that wasn't there before!
There's your answer, neighbour, get a small flatscreen TV, (what, £100?) park it in a separate room with a spare DVD player and label it "Games Centre". Simples.

Mols
falbayview

Post by falbayview »

croatianstonehouse wrote:Good Idea. Currently the Playstation is in the lounge. I could move this down to the bedroom and suggest its a Games and DVD area only.

Ill update my Sales literature to Say TV in bedroom with DVD player and Games Console and not mention channels or satellite.
a crackin' idea, that way you're increasing facilities offered, kill two birds with one stone and save yourself the hassle of sorting the dish out.

i might try that one myself :D
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

my info on listing sites is quite clear: NO tv in my guestrooms. i'll have to take 2 extra connections at my provider and both rooms are not 'fit' to install tv's to watch while being in bed. since i started 3 years ago, asked every guest if they missed having a tv...? 1. 'we love quiet nights with a good book.' 2. 'we have our own laptop/ipad/iphone with us.' (i offer free wifi-connection). 3. 'we have not missed it, as sitting in your lovely garden with a glass of wine (they have to buy themselves, i have no license) until it was time to go to bed, was quite enough for us.'

only ONCE a prospective guest did not book as there was no tv in the room. i DO have a small radio alarm clock in the largest room, which is much used! when i heard that a couple in the other room 'missed a radio to listen to, during breakfast', i immediately unplugged it upstairs and installed it in their room. most guests use their telephones anyway, to set an alarm.

i really wouldn't worry - though i do know how your nerves can be at edge, for the arrival of your First Guests!!!