Ektorp sofa cover how to fit it?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Martine

Ektorp sofa cover how to fit it?

Post by Martine »

Hi,
I can't get hold of Ikea (out of hours now) (so I thought I would turn to you) and I'm trying to refit an Ektorp cover after washing it. Unfortunately it split. I have a spare cover that I've had waiting in the understairs cupboard already washed and waiting for a moment like this. I tried to start fitting it but I can see its nowhere near fitting. Could it have shrunk?
Does anyone have a technique for fitting the cover to the three seater sofa please. Obviously I'm not doing it right.
many thanks
Martine
tim441

Post by tim441 »

perhaps try fitting it slightly damp? may stretch a fraction better
The classic, quintessential english country cottage
http://www.dorset-somerset-holiday-cottages.co.uk
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I think that when I do ours I get the 2 top back corner bits in position 1st before I try to get the arms on.
Mine shrank a bit in the 1st wash, so it was a tight squeeze - need to be gentle with it and not force anything.
I had some bleach type stains that wouldn't come out last time :cry: so had to get a replacement - it went on a lot easier than my washed one (and it seemed easier than the original when it was new) so I thought they may now have made them ever so slightly stretchy or ever so slightly bigger
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

I have an Ektorp in my condo in Florida, and a newer in the Swedish guesthouse. The newer one's cover is absolutely bigger and easier to fit.

I put on the cover straight from the washing machine, it then stretches easier. I use the same techique as Dotty.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
holidayloverxx

Post by holidayloverxx »

Martine, mine shrunk and I pull it too hard over one corner and ripped it at the seam. Luckily I had a brand new spare that slipped on easily. I've had the seam repaired and had a zip put down the back at one side from the corner to bottom in the hope the shrunk one will go over with a bit of "easing" over the corner