Hello, first post, Tuscan villa

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Pmagowan

Hello, first post, Tuscan villa

Post by Pmagowan »

Hi all,

I have been browsing this website for a while as it has loads of usefull hints and tips. It has certainly made me think.

We have a property in Tuscany set in the mountains in a national park with only birds, deer and wild boar for neighbours. It has been a long slog but we are nearly finished with the restoration after 6 years (Italian bureaucracy is amazing!). The house is large with 8 large bedrooms (6 double, 2 twins) all with ensuite. We will have 2 kitchens, a kitchenette and 3 large reception rooms with wood burning stoves and one open fire. It is set in 14 acres of it's own forest and we intend to landscape close to the house and put in a pool.

We have never rented out before and I will be drawing on all your collective knowledge over the coming months, so thanks in advance. We will be offsite renters. I have bought a domain name and so will try and get a website up at some point (escape2tuscany.com).

I suppose most important thing is 'Hello', and if anyone has any tips for a larger property, successes or pitfalls, I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
Paddy
CSE

Post by CSE »

welcome to LMH. We look forward to chatting to you and hearing your point of views. You maybe new to this game but I bet you will have some ideas to add to our discussions.
I have one for you:
At the moment your website goes to godaddy. If you have purchased the domain, maybe add some basic information and a few photos rather than using godaddy's information page. That way your website is active and will help later on with your SEO work.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
pambon

Post by pambon »

And welcome from me down here too! Shall look forward to hearing how things go. Buona fortuna!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

6 years... phew... that sounds like quite a project.

Welcome to LMH.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Phew indeed! I thought we'd taken a long time, and we 'only' took 4 years .... I'll look forward to seeing the finished product, Paddy!

IIRC, GoDaddy offer the facility to make an 'instant' page which you could use as a holding page - I so agree that it would be a good idea to have something showing there to get your ball rolling.

Oh, and welcome :lol:
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Thanks guys. It has been fun and we have made great Italian friends by staying in the local village when visiting. I know what you mean about the website and as soon as I get a minute I will get something online. I have just bought a web host (recommended on here) for it and am in the process of getting it sorted. Will keep you posted.

Ps one of the reasons for the delay was being in the national park which meant the forestale, park authorities and others had to put their oar in
lorca

Post by lorca »

Welcome Paddy - it sounds like a wonderful project. Looking forward to seeing some photos!
If not now, when?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

6 years on and you're still saying 'it's been fun' ... wow. I won't tell you what I was saying by year 3 :shock: :oops:
aasta

Post by aasta »

Welcome and good luck . It must be beautiful!!- you are in our most favorite part of the world!! LMH has been a godsend for us!! Tuscany had been our first choice but we were warned about the lengthy process of their bureaucracy..........
aasta
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Thanks everyone. Yes it has been a long time but if it had been quick we may not have met so many lovely Italians and integrated so well in the community. I now have more Italian friends than I do at home, we have been to their weddings, birthdays and celebrated our birthdays with them and when we had a family tragedy they were fantastic with us.

The property is primarily for our use but we need it to earn its keep since the budget keeps growing. It was a ridiculous house to buy but we fell in love and our hearts rule our head. We were looking for a small mill in a valley and ended with a large ruin in the mountains! As soon as I am online I will let you guys know.