Broken/faulty keysafe

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Nemo

Broken/faulty keysafe

Post by Nemo »

I have just heard from my cleaner that one of my keysafes will no longer open. I have a back up, so I will have to direct my guests to that but anyone got any thoughts as to how to resolve the broken one?

It's a Master Lock 5401D, which I think some of you may have. A basic manual one with a four digit code on numbered barrels that you rotate to the correct combination.

The guest got access no problem, then on departure just couldn't open the safe, implying that the code was wrong or had somehow changed. It has a small reset lock, so I'm guessing it's been inadvertantly reset. No idea how unless it is faulty in some way.

So it's screwed to the wall; removing it by force will ruin the wall and cost a fortune to repair I would imagine. You cannot access the screw unless you can get into the compartment.

Finding the code that will now open it? How many combinations can a four digit combination produce? Too many methinks to test! Ho hum. :(
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Nemo, a similar one we bought has an original code of 0000 . Have you tried that?
It might just work if the lock has been reset.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I did think of that so I rang a neighbour, but he says he's already tried that. :( He'll try it again but I suspect the code must be a random one somehow set in when the last guest rotated the dials after using the safe to remove the key.

Shall I set a challenge to my guests? The first one to find the new code gets a free weekend? Might be cheaper than ripping it off the wall and repairing/replacing!
Marks

Post by Marks »

8888 is also sometimes used as a default code. It maybe possible for a handyman just to break in to it using an 'ammer and chisel meaning you won't mess up the wall and at under £20 for a new safe a relatively cheap option. All that is assuming you don't have time to try all the thousands of combinations.....
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

If you try entering your key safe model and number into a google search it may show you how to troubleshoot your access issues.
We found that helpful last year. Alternatively a local locksmith might be cheaper than damaging your safe & wall etc.
("I said blow the bloody doors off")
Good luck
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

You probably don't want to know this, but those rolling tumbler type combinations could be opened by a trainee safe cracker inside 10 minutes.

You could pop down to the nearest seedy pub and ask around, or better still, follow salmoncottage's advice and call in a local locksmith.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

salmoncottage wrote:If you try entering your key safe model and number into a google search it may show you how to troubleshoot your access issues.
e-richard wrote:You probably don't want to know this, but those rolling tumbler type combinations could be opened by a trainee safe cracker inside 10 minutes.
Thanks. I have googled it and found how to crack the code as a you tube video. I have also seen a video of someone taking a hammer to it and smashing it open in 3 blows. :roll: :shock:

Now picking the lock still may not work as it depends on the position of the reset lever when the code was changed. I cannot get there myself probably for a couple of months, because I don't put this into an emergency category warranting a day of my time and 5 plus hours of driving. :lol:

I shall have another think as to whether my cleaners hubby is up to the job of picking it/removing it or some other solution.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Try pushing the top of the key safe where it opens. We've had this numerous times, correct key code wouldn't open it, got the handyman out and it tried above and it opened.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks apex, that's certainly worth a try. Looks like a rethink in due course of lock type then?

Anyone got any suggestions for more foolproof locks - both for guests and the thieves......? :roll:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Nemo wrote:foolproof locks - ... for guests
You've got to be joking !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Marks

Post by Marks »

e-richard wrote:
Nemo wrote:foolproof locks - ... for guests
You've got to be joking !
Surely guestproof locks for fools might be a better buy?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
windrush

Post by windrush »

If the code has been changed the little lever for opening the safe won't depress, this is something to check. If it can be pulled down but the safe still won't open it just means the hatch is stuck. Ours jammed once but there was nothing wrong with the code, we prised it open with a screwdriver while holding the lever down and gave it a good spray with WD40 and it's been right as rain ever since.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ok thanks everyone. I will make a note of the two possible fixes that could be tried by the cleaner, otherwise it will have to wait until I get there in October I think and hope that the remaining one is ok in the meantime.
J B
Location: We live in England and have rental properties in N Wales and Paphos, Cyprus

Post by J B »

When I was 'dairy farming', we had a combination lock on the dairy door.
One day, the cowman decided to oil the lock to make it a little easier for him at 6am.
He had inadvertently reset the code, so he was busy with the grinder from the workshop the next morning, before he could start milking! :roll:

:lol:
joddle

Post by joddle »

I had a lock on a case which I lost the code for - having four digits this meant 10,000 posibilities so I simply starterd at 0000 and tired each number doing about 100 or so every day or whenever I thought about it - by the end of the week I had the right one! patience is all it needs..... just hope yours is not 9998!! could take a month!!!!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.