new scam - Rosalind Drupsteen

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
blodri

new scam - Rosalind Drupsteen

Post by blodri »

Had an enquiry supposedly from Homeaway from a Dutch family wanting a week rental in April - lots of details and very chatty and they sent a copy of their passport which was Belgian. My slight worry was a request for all to be sorted by the next week. I sent details of different options - they replied yes but didn't indicate which option. I replied asking which option and they replied saying they had sent a deposit but that it might be in my spam folder due to problems with their scanner. Alarm bells rang as I hadn't sent bank details or a contract. Sure enough their 'attchment email' was in my spam folder and was one of those that tries to get you to re sign in to Google thus acquiring your password.
Beware!! I have reported to Google and Homeaway. The name was Rosalind Drupsteen.
Part of Clare's CC equipe
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Hi Blodri
I had this a few days ago - see the thread in the MO section!
Well done for not sending your bank details :oops:
And as well as the email phishing link directly from it I've had a HOMEAWAY login phisihing as well - though that may be coincidence.
I reported the Dutch-Belgian thing to HA..... and have had no response from them.
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

busy woman, that rosalie! look at this:

http://www.forum.location-et-vacances.c ... c1259.html
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

This was the wording of 1st enquiry I got last week via HA
Hello ,We are two belgium families with 2 childrens(12 and 16 years old) who want to spend their vacation in the region.Please advise about availability and booking procedure since we want to secure our holiday by next week.Looking forward to hear from your side.Drupsteen Rosalinde and Friends,
Now, I've just got another enquiry via HA - different name, email etc this for a week 31 August - 7th September:
Hello,We are 2 families comming from Germany for our summer holiday with our 2 sons of 12 and 15 years old.This is our second year comming in this region and your property loction is great since we know that part of the city.We would like to know the booking procedure and payment method because we are keen to book our holliday before the new year.Looking forward to hear from your side.Greetings from Berlin,
Subsequent emails from 'Rosalinde' covered the 2nd time in your region aspect etc etc too. Giveaway here - we are not in a city.

Similarities?????? Variations on a theme? Different translations into English of the same script with different options filled in????

Am I being too cynical?... or just over cautious given recent experience with 'Rosalinde'?
B&B netherlands

Post by B&B netherlands »

the texts are still rather 'generic' and composed from different texts available to scammers. if you DO answer, you usually receive another 'generic' text, with no answers to questions you eventually asked. like: 'we are not close to a city, but in the countryside, are you aware of that?'

no, you're not cynical. at all! and it is always good that you are 'cautious'.

i would check on the school holiday schedules in germany, if i get an enquiry like this, you can find most through internet. and usually it is nonsense to book a summer holiday of just ONE week!

there are always 'giveaways', but you have to learn where to look.