Anyone take credit/debit card payment?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Found this thread at last! I knew I'd started to bring all the info together under one thread. So I'm continuing the quest in 2015 for the right provider.

Fab pay is another great option and low cost, as recommended by Essar, but you can only join it if you use the freetobook system. I'm not about to leave PIMS anytime soon though.

So I seem to be left with Stripe and WorldPayZinc. I thought I would be fine for just online transactions but realised there will be a demand for over the phone payments. I'd already spoken to WorldPayZinc and that was a simple sign up for online payments. I rang them asking about phone payments and suddenly I've had a different story. I'm guessing a different advisor, but basically, because it's the holiday industry I have to meet with a business advisor to discuss things. It's because of the large sums involved. I've made an appt anyway so I'll know next week.

I don't have my accountants head on today. Can anyone give me the break even point between payasyougo - 2.75% or monthly payment £5.99 and then 1.95%? It's difficult to judge how much I'll take but I suspect once I offer it, people will use it a lot. I'm not prepared to absorb the whole fee at this stage though so was thinking of charging 1.95 or 2% as a reasonable compromise.

Stripe users? Is it purely online or is there a way of taking payment over the phone? Could you process an online payment yourself if you were given all the card details?
Essar

Post by Essar »

Nemo wrote: Stripe users? Is it purely online or is there a way of taking payment over the phone? Could you process an online payment yourself if you were given all the card details?
Yes there is - it's in the "Payments" tab under create new payment. You can use a manual entry form to put in the card details - you can also use it to pre-authorise a card (expires in 7-days). However, there is a downside - Stripe will allow you to use this for a few transactions but not all - primarily because they cannot control PCI compliance. As long as you integrate Stripe on your website or use it with something like Wufoo forms then it's fine. I've only had 6 payments via Stripe using Wufoo and 1 via this method - all worked as they should.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks Essar. I'm not planning on putting it on my website, so I'm erring towards WorldPayZinc, even though it's a tad more expensive. I'll see after my meeting with them.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The PCI compliance angle of taking card payments over the phone is not something I've looked at - mainly because I'm pretty sure it's burdensome! We don't take payments over the phone, and I'm not convinced it's something that guests would prefer over an online system; there's no way I'd give my card details over the phone to a private individual. As you're developing the agency side, your requirements (as in guest expectations) may be different.

I handle card payments by giving the guest a link which takes them on a secure link directly to my gateway provider (Barclaycard), so I don't see or handle (and therefore store) any sensitive information beyond seeing the last four digits of the card on the confirmation I get. All the other information is standard booking stuff - amount payable, name, address, postcode, ie nothing beyond what I'm signed up to under the Data Protection Act.

Probably about as secure as it can be for the guest, and nice and simple - so why did today's booking decide to send me a bloody cheque? :evil:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

You'd be surprised how many times I've been asked if they can pay over the phone. It's the instant nature of it clearly.

I'm currently processing a booking from a lady with macular degeneration who does everything over the phone and has no computer. So I'm sending her a form (which she'll need help filling out and returning) along with T's and C's (in small print that she can't read) and she wants to pay in full over the phone! It only takes one to throw my system out on its ear! I duly printed my forms to find they've printed at a third of the size and no idea why!

I touched upon PCI compliance earlier today in my research and have sent myself a link to have a read. Hopefully I'll understand more after the meeting.

I still get regular cheques GB, but my bank's a tad nearer than yours. :wink:
Annew

Post by Annew »

I look forward to hearing what comes of your meeting with WorldPay.

I've been looking hard at payments today too - thanks to you and Essar for the tons of information.

It looks at the moment as though I will take HA payments from HA customers and move to WorldPay for the rest.

I too get a lot of requests to pay over the phone, so would be interested to know what Worldpay have to offer.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Interesting comments on card payments by phone. Thinking about it, we do get a number of guests telling us that "we'll phone in the morning to pay", but I pre-empt that by sending an email pointing out that we don't take card payments by phone and providing a link to our payment gateway (and pointing out that it's more secure and that I only know two people whom I'd trust to take a payment by phone :wink: ).

I'll be interested to know what the compliance issues are.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Just worked out the break even point if the charges are as per the Worldpay website - about £9000. More than I thought, but I seem to remember Essar saying on a thread recently that he took 80% of his payments by credit card, so that wouldn't be difficult to reach then!
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I use Paypal and have found taking payment over the phone is increasing. It's so simple and quick I don't think I will be changing it anytime soon despite the fees. My ability / desire to learn new tech stuff seems to be dwindling by the day!
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

How do you take a Paypal payment over the phone Barbersdrove out of interest?
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I have a Paypal reader for taking card payments
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ah that makes sense then. I was never planning to get a reader as I will never meet my guests in person!
Essar

Post by Essar »

Nemo wrote:Ah that makes sense then. I was never planning to get a reader as I will never meet my guests in person!
PayPal HERE allows you to take card payments without a card reader using the App. When prompted to "attach to reader via bluetooth" press cancel - you then get the option to manually enter card details.

My card payments are now 100% if you include online HA & HL too - I've not had a personal cheque for 16-months and a bank transfer for nearly 3-months. I charge no fees at all for card handling. Even though I offer all these payment alternatives no one seems interested - I believe it's only when card handling fees are asked for that bank transfer becomes the favourite.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks, my specific aim is to move away from PayPal altogether, so although I toyed with Paypal Here a while back it seems pointless when I can now find a cheaper option that will cover both phone and online payments. Roll on the day I can avoid using Paypal for my business! WorldPayZinc has an app as well although I think that might need the reader to work?
Jonathan

Re: Anyone take credit/debit card payment?

Post by Jonathan »

Cornish Maid wrote:Just wondered what I would need to be able to do this and if there is any cost outlay?

I currently accept Paypal, Bank transfer or Cheque, but someone asked yesterday if I can accept card payment. Not sure what is involved in this, can anyone advise please?
We use Barclaycard who offer a discount for Holiday letting through Quality in Tourism for the UK.

Jonathan