Kitchen Equipment

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Foxandsot

Kitchen Equipment

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

If you've got nothing better to do with your time, below you will find a very long (& highly interesting :lol: ) list of everything that I think we should provide in the kitchen of our rental house. Your comments would be appreciated, do we need to add anything or take anything away??

Happy reading!! :oops: Can't believe I'm posting this but I think my husband is really bored of me talking about all this stuff!!

oven
hob
dishwasher
fridge freezer
washing machine
toaster
kettle
microwave
cafetiere
espresso pot thingy
kitchen knives
mugs
espresso cups
plates (dinner & side)
bowls
cutlery
egg cups
glasses (wine, tumblers)
tea pot
plastic water jug
glass water jug
juicer/blender
salad bowl
salad servers
iron
small table top ironing board
ice cube trays
wine cooler
saucepans x 3
frying pan
oven dishes x 2
measuring jug
chopping board
a few tupperware containers
salt & pepper grinders
oven glove
t-towels
cheese grater
cool bag & ice packs
utensils - whisk, garlic pres, wooden spoons, corkscrew, spatula
plastic childrens cups, bowls, plates & cutlery

If you've got this far, thanks for reading :oops:
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

No obvious omissions. In Northern Europe a tumble dryer is also needed, but probably not in the Med.

John
Ju

Post by Ju »

The only things I can think of are:

Coffe machine (perculator type) - I personally put these in instead of the cafetiere expresso maker combo.

Corkscrew

Potato Masher

One other tip, make sure you provide more than the number of people you are expecting. If you cater for four people you need more than four knives, forks etc otherwise you have to constantly wash up.

Ju
enid

Post by enid »

cleaning things e.g. brush ,bucket etc

whisk

serving spoons - we lived in our holiday cottage this winter and the serving spoons were our first missed item
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Life could be very tiresome without a set of Poultry Lacers (Aigulles a volaille / Pinchos para atar aves), preferably stainless steel.

They double up as toothpicks as well (and getting ivy out of hooves, but that's a bit personal).

Also, Asprey's do a nice solid silver toothpaste tube squeezer for £285 - it really does get that last bit out, and is a money-saver in the long run. I use mine in the kitchen for Tomato Purée tubes. If the price seems a bit on the high side, keep in mind that you get it engraved with your property's name to avoid pilfering.

Goat
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've put the electric hand blenders in the cottages this year as I had a few requests to borrow one. They aren't too expensive and are quite useful. I also include several 'marmites' in France -big casserole dishes ideal for mussels and cooking for a lot of people. You should work on at least a double set of crockery and cutlery per guest. Plus ladle and Barbecue cooking utensil set to add to the utensil list. Butter dish too.
A-two

Post by A-two »

tin opener
extra oven gloves (they need to be changed with every guest)
potato masher (agree with enid)
measuring spoons (1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup)
measuring jug (litres/ pints)
baking sheets
oven thermometer (so they can check your oven is what it says it is)
baster (the new rubber brushes are great)
disposable foil trays to go at bottom of oven to save cleaning
mixing bowls (can double as serving bowls)
serving tray
Napkin holder (for paper napkins)
Something to steam vegetables in (either an electric steamer, or a stacking pan, or an insert)
colander,
something to make salad dressing in.
selection of herbs & spices
milk jug
sugar bowl
small/ large whisks
timer
corn of the cob holders
skewers for kebabs

If you're in an area where seafood is a big thing - then you might want to consider adding a lobster pot, at least one lobster crackers and a couple of picks, also a fish poacher.

I don't consider tupperware necessary. Also, I would a small omelette pan as well as a large frying pan with a lid. Like you I started with 3 pans and 1 corkscrew, but soon realized that everyone likes something different, so I pack the cupboards now so that everyone can find their favorite kind.
Last edited by A-two on Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Joanna, you have a very well equipped kitchen, I am impressed.

i disagree about the tupperware though, ours gets used regularly for leftovers and picnics etc.

Catherine is right about a hand blender, I have one in each property. If you are looking for an affordable big pan try Ikea, they do a huge stainless steel one at a very resonable price.

Ju
A-two

Post by A-two »

Ju,
Thank You! I don't provide tupperware but I do provide those disposable self seal plastic bags. Can't remember their name in the UK, but here they are called ziplocks. Oh I lie, I added a tupperware container for a cake this year, but you're probably right that I should add more.
enid

Post by enid »

Thank you for starting this thread - I found it so useful I have created a table of everyone's ideas which I'll post for everyone to share once we think we've run out of ideas. If anyone adds anything a list format helps me to copy out the relevant bits of the post.

I have always been very pleased about guests' comments on how well equipped our kitchens are but I see some gaps already. Joanna takes the prize for best equipped for me so far but Mountain Goat wins the most exotic eqipment prize - a couple of must haves there for my Christmas list :)

This week we have a large French group - a mother and daughters cooking together after a while apart - they have asked for a quiche dish and a full mixer so I have supplied those from my kitchen. The French do like pressure cookers so we have one in each gite.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Enid, I am a big fan of pressure cookers too, but I'm not sure there's room for one in my place. I have a set of useful oven/serving dishes that come with their own baskets to put on the table, and each time I use the kitchen I think of something that is needed. I've just bought a chargrill pan as there are loads of trout locally, and they taste lovely from the grill pan.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

And a good knife sharpener, please.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I've been reading through this thread thinking that I can't add anything to the list, then it came to me...

We have a Le Creuset cast-iron griddle pan which is extremely useful for grilling meat. :D

PS:
Ju wrote:Catherine is right about a hand blender
Sorry Ju, can't take the credit for this, it was Susan who suggested it. :D

Oooh!!! Just remembered another essential: Salad dryer!!! :D :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

An essential item in a French apartment/gite I would think.
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Is it necessary for me to supply tea cups, coffee cups, espresso cups as well as mugs? Seems like a lot of cups!!!