Another spammer!

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Here is a obvious example of a phishing attempt. The from address is very likely faked and may not be the email address of the person sending the attachment. He/she is not interested in a reply.

All you have done is possibly post the email address of some victim online and branded them as a scammer.

Unless you have analysed the header and proved the from email not to be fake, then this type of name and shame is simply wrong.

Post the body text only.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

In an idle moment I found out a bit more about how this particular scam can work. I discovered some historical information about an apartment that was available for long term let in Germany, with lots of detail about the property; the scammer, posing as the owner of the apartment but residing in another country so unable to meet a renter in person, was simply taking a damages deposit and upfront rent from as many unsuspecting victims as possible. Quite lucrative at well over €1k a time.

The genuine owner presumably continued advertising their apartment as a holiday let on whichever rental site the information had been lifted from, and there was no further suspicious activity on that site to raise any concerns.
A devious alternative to hacking the listing and redirecting holiday rental enquiries.
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Ben,

Thank you for posting and quoting the message contained in the email.

A couple of days ago I received an enquiry via OD from a Martin T Warwick. Initially it seemed straightforward until he replied yesterday with the exact same message as quoted in your spam enquiry. In the email he requested I open an attachment with details of the persons in the booking.

My suspicions were raised but when I 'googled' him I couldn't find any reference to his email address or name. I then decided to search using the body of his email - thank goodness for LMH because it there it was word for word.

Thanks again,