Can't delete an email on Windows Live Mail?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Jimbo

Can't delete an email on Windows Live Mail?

Post by Jimbo »

I'm on a PC with Windows 7. On Windows Live Mail, an email appeared a couple of days ago that I can't delete or move - just keep getting a message saying 'an unknown error has occured'. This email looked dodgy (and contained a virus in an attachment that AVG picked up), so I've run further scans with AVG and Malwarebytes that have been clear.

Googling suggests that the problem may lie with WLM and reinstalling the programme might be a solution. The horror! Would prefer to avoid this if possible, wondered if anybody had another solution or suggestions?

Other question: is WLM fit for purpose - or are there better and securer email programmes?

Thanks all.
Jim
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

WLM is the successor to the old Outlook Express, which was the standard Email software which was shipped with Windows. Probably for most people it's fine and I know my parents like it. There are of course other email programs but all have both pros and cons.

I'm assuming the accounts are setup as IMAP, so the problem is WLM thinks there is a difference on the server. What you could try is moving all the emails, except the suspect one from that folder into a temp folder and then delete the original folder completely. Then create it again and move your emails back again.

I also read this online http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mai ... error.html

Also here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... e7ed46b46d

Reinstalling would probably solve it but it's a sledgehammer approach to what should be a minor problem.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thank you kev for your most comprehensive and helpful reply. It's typical of LMH - no matter how mundane or obscure your problem, one or more members will have the knowledge and the kindness to push you in the right direction.

Amazingly, on this occasion, in between me posting and kev responding, Windows carried out an update to my system and the email deleted. However, I'll keep kev's advice salted away in case the problem recurs.

Thanks again kev for your speedy reply - much appreciated.
Jim