Suspect Text

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Chippy

Post by Chippy »

mi casa wrote:Got it last night. I was not sure about it but delighted I checked it out on LMH.
Me too :)
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Susie Jane wrote:I'm feeling very left out!
If you give me your number I can spam you if you like Susie! :lol:
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Casscat wrote:
Susie Jane wrote:I'm feeling very left out!
If you give me your number I can spam you if you like Susie! :lol:
Thanks, but no thanks. Maybe my turn is coming.....
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Me too - not sure how their scam works though.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The people who send these messages may be trying to access your personal information, sell you a premium rate service or encourage you to contact them so that you can be referred to another company that will try to sell you something.
From the three website.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Okay, so they now have my mobile phone number - which is exactly what they had before when they texted me. I am lucky that my mobile has not been heavily spammed to date. I have had the same mobile number for 10 years or more and I wouldn't want to change it so maybe I should have a separate one for my holiday rental persona. I have a 'spam-catcher' email address so perhaps I should apply the same principle to my mobile.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We got the same message last night from the same number. The only place I have this number listed is on Owners Direct.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Casscat wrote:Okay, so they now have my mobile phone number - which is exactly what they had before when they texted me. I am lucky that my mobile has not been heavily spammed to date. I have had the same mobile number for 10 years or more and I wouldn't want to change it so maybe I should have a separate one for my holiday rental persona. I have a 'spam-catcher' email address so perhaps I should apply the same principle to my mobile.
We have a separate PAYG mobile for websites and bookings. I learnt my lesson early on. I put my personal mobile no. up and one day received some very scary calls/messages. 'Help me' 'I'm in trouble' 'need your help'. My son was away in Australia at the time and I was going out if my mind in case it was him trying to contact me. This was 8 years ago when mobile contact not so sophisticated. The calls and texts went on for months from every continent. A hard lesson learnt.
falbayview

Post by falbayview »

got it at 17:15 on 8th from 07624 803040 too, saying to email r.james01@aol.com. needless to say i ignored it.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think this is a situation where it is absolutely right to publish the spammer's phone number and email address as an audit trail for concerned Googlers.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Casscat wrote:How does the premium number scam work in this example? Are they relying upon curious people calling them to talk through their query rather than emailing as requested?
Probably.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I assume it's one of those premium numbers that costs a lot to text or call back. Many phone companies block or can block access to such numbers. They probably make a good profit before enough people complain and the number gets shut down.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kevsboredagain wrote:I assume it's one of those premium numbers that costs a lot to text or call back. Many phone companies block or can block access to such numbers. They probably make a good profit before enough people complain and the number gets shut down.
It had never occurred to me that texts could be at a premium rate - but why not?
Thanks for the tip!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I just checked my mobile account and the texts I sent are zero cost.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Casscat wrote:I just checked my mobile account and the texts I sent are zero cost.
Well that's one theory discredited.

Perhaps it's to confirm a mobile number is live and then they'll spam the number or sell the list to a 3rd party.

I'm really baffled to be honest. I can't imagine it being genuine and don't see the point of it.