Savvy830 or souravg206

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
oasiscouple

Savvy830 or souravg206

Post by oasiscouple »

I presume this must be a phishing attempt.
From souravg206@gmail.com, subject just “Info”

"First of all wishing you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year. Will rooms be available for a family of five members? Actually my mom, aunt, cousins and I are planning a vacation.
Best Regards
Savvy"

I replied : “Could you please explain what you are requesting, particularly which property?”

He replied: “What property do you have at your disposal at the moment ??”

To which I replied: “If you don't know which property you are enquiring about, goodbye”.

The aggrieved sounding reply came: “I am talking about camping pitches where you can pitch up a tent. Every naturist place I have been to has that option where you can either choose camping tents or rooms. Isn't that obvious ?? ”

So suddenly his mom, aunt, cousins and him want a naturist campsite instead of rooms. Something tells me there is no point in continuing this conversation.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Did they mention any dates? My scam antenna at the moment twitches when some total stranger begins in mid Jan by wishing me a happy & prosperous New Year - every one of the nigh on 50 toxic emails with 'invoices' and poisoned links I have received at work since the beginning of the year commences with this chummy intro. What does "at your disposal at the moment" mean? Are they proposing to arrive tomorrow?
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Actually in France the custom is to send new year greetings up to the end of January, but anyway I have dropped the exchange as the enquiry cannot be real.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Why? In my experience scammers don't engage in discussion - they blanket bomb and don't have the time or inclination to get involved in personal responses. The fact that this guy came back with something quite specific rather than the standard "Good news! We've decided to book!" garbage might make me inclined to say okay, sorry for my abrupt response, please provide more details of your dates and requirements & let's see how we go. In all likelihood this is a scammer, albeit one with a bit more time on his hands than the usual, but at the moment it's not a cut and dried case.

I had an enquiry via OD very recently that I thought was a bit fishy. I replied with caution, and now have an early summer booking, full deposit paid, for a seemingly charming family who live in the UK but for whom English is not their first language. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and it paid off. Maybe take this enquiry one step further just to be sure?