Scam email enquiry George Scott

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
gunnyandbob

Scam email enquiry George Scott

Post by gunnyandbob »

You've got the gist of it below, and I've checked it out with HA who confirmed its a scam to get anyone to enter their password which is invited if you click on a link, apparently to VRBO/HomeAway.

Inquiry from George Scott: Sep 1 through 11 - VRBO.com #273753(2)
People
George Scott
To me Today at 4:39 PM
Congratulations, you have a new inquiry!
VRBO from HomeAway
Our Family of Brands
Hello, George Scott is interested in your property.

Property
Dates
Available
Sep 1-11, 2015
10 nights
Guests
2 adults, 1 children
Traveler name
George Scott
Traveler email
Respond in your dashboard
Inquiry from
HomeAway.com
Message from George Scott

My dates are felxible so let me know if you have free the property on month requsted.

Respond in your dashboard
Or, reply to this email
Respond quickly to increase your chance of securing the booking.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

While I accept that people with very obviously Anglicised names may not be British or may be British but have literacy issues I suggest that most don't have a problem with syntax. The enquirer's syntax smacks of English as a foreign language. I really don't know how the likes of 'George' hope to get away with their ploys, but they must do to some extent or there would be no trade in this kind of scam.
gunnyandbob

Post by gunnyandbob »

Yes I agree with you Casscat. But there's the thought from the owner that in fact it may be a genuine enquiry, all the more so nowadays due to the number of immigrants arriving everywhere. So it was that I checked it out for two reasons..just maybe genuine..and to know to put it on here, and inform HA. When I saw "1 children" though, I figured it was a scam.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

"One children" would be a standard field populated by the web site and not an error on the part of the enquirer I would have thought. "My dates are felxible so let me know if you have free the property on month requsted" on the other hand, spelling mistakes excepted, is a dead give away. This is not the sentence construction of anyone called George Scott.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I don't know where I read or saw this recently, but apparently scammers deliberately use bad English to try to ensnare more vulnerable victims - basically if the recipient is fooled by the weird English, they're less likely to spot oddities in the scammer's story further down the line.

Makes sense, but just... ugh