Suspected scam phone enquiry

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
GRL

Suspected scam phone enquiry

Post by GRL »

Not a scam email enquiry (so maybe the title of this section needs changing to scam enquiries) but we had a phone call yesterday evening from a Indian sounding gentleman wanting to book the gite for a month as soon as possible. Hubby politely told them we did not have availability but I suspect this is not the last we have heard from them. Their phone number came up as withheld, in which case we normally don't answer, but younger son was expecting a phone call and picked it up without checking. Our phone number is viewable on OD and our website.
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Rosie.

Just for interest, I had a phone call last year from an Asian chap ( now know from Pakistan). Alarm bells rang, treated it as a scam but was polite. Asked him to email, then some nonesense about only his son able to do it..etc.. Do you know what, it was 100% OK, they came they enjoyed and they left. All he was doing was touring Europe, could be the same guy off on his hols again.

So just maybe???
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
GRL

Post by GRL »

There is always the chance it was genuine, Rogthedodge, but in this case we would not have wanted a month let in winter anyway (we need to do some work on the gite). When did your chap come? Was if for a month in winter? I really can't imagine someone from Asia wanting to spend a month in Normandy in winter and he certainly had a spiel when he rang without any of the niceties of someone actually wanting a genuine holiday. But we could always have been wrong ...
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Morning Rosie.

Actually just looked it was a week in June 2013, how time flys. Name was Saad BTW.
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
GRL

Post by GRL »

Merci, Rogthedodge - if he does ring we'll welcome him with open arms, not had any guests from Pakistan.