Asseo Phishing attempt .

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Hells Bells

Asseo Phishing attempt .

Post by Hells Bells »

Been travelling for a few weeks and my access to email had been limited for the past 10 days. I had an enquiry a week or so ago, from two different French based sites from a guy by name of Asseo asking for vacant dates in March. NO silly questions, no over-occupancy, all apparently genuine. Sent my pims reply and link to the booking form. Only difference in the two enquiries was the email address used, one obviously personal, the other possibly a work email.
He has replied today with a dropbox link, which I haven't opened which supposedly has completed booking form and details of bank transfer attached. Almost nothing rang any bells until I got the dropbox link, and many may just have clicked it.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

On the other hand, might he not be an innocent user of Dropbox who thinks this is a good way to give you access? I use it very little and can't remember what the process is for looking at someone else's drop box. Do you have to sign in with your details?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes I think you do, but not going to find out. I am thinking the same 99% certain it is a phishing attempt. Thing is he didn't need to complete the form and return it via Dropbox, PIMs would have done that for him which is why I am suspicious. I have forwarded it to Dropbox abuse department.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

You can send public Dropbox links and the receiver does not need an account or to sign in. I use this, for example, for giving my accountant all my documents for the year, simply because there are too many for an email.

The link however, could be malicious and I think I would be a bit suspicious too as there's really no need for this.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I didn't manage to come up with the scammer using Google, but did come up with a report of a dropbox scam last year that sounded like it could be similar. As hovering over the link just showed a French dropbox url, I did click on it out of curiosity, and sure enough was taken to a page inviting me to log into my email server in order to view the document. There were many logos of different Web-based emails on there Gmail, Yahoo etc etc.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

My property manager sends stuff to me via Dropbox and I just open it with no need to log on at all. If Asseo is now a confirmed scammer can you post his full name? You don't have to put his email addy up, but if you have the name it will provide a search string. The 'work email' may well be another invention, or a hijack.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Samuel Asseo

Work email is from a parked domain.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

and has Hugo as a first name not Samuel. TBH not that unusual. I've had emails from French families before where the son makes the enquiry and the father makes the booking.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

So it's both Hugo Asseo and Samuel Asseo.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

yes, both. That wasn't very clear when I've read that back.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Should be enough info to lay a trail :mrgreen:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

and just to confirm it is a fake, he is now calling himself Victor.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

So that would be Victor Asseo, for the benefit of Google searchers :)