Advice from Owners Direct on recognising phishing emails

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Nemo

Advice from Owners Direct on recognising phishing emails

Post by Nemo »

An email from Owners Direct has just arrived with a link to this page. You have to click on it as it's embedded into a button. :wink:

Specifically for users of OD and Homeaway but useful for others to read too.

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/fraud-rec ... 883REL1503
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I read that, but it is wholly geared towards how to recognise emails which purport to come from OD but don't. There is nothing there about how to recognise scam email enquiries looking to phish in other ways. For example there has been a recent spate of "which is your house on the Google map? Can you tell me if it is on the left or on the right?" followed by a completely toxic link but of that and similar ploys there is no mention on the OD mailing. They could have broadened the scope - unless this is the first in a planned series of 'how not to get conned' mailings.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well you wouldn't expect it to be up to date would you? That'll take another year or so before they catch up with whatever the current trend is. :wink:

I know most of the advice is covered elsewhere and OD specific but no harm is done in repeating things like how to check email addresses. :)
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

LMH - when you want to be ahead of the trend :)