Another angle.....

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
joddle

Another angle.....

Post by joddle »

Just got the email below - apparently from someone I know well - but I do know his English is much better than this and although he travels to Poland regularly he is not there at the moment , so I knew at once it was a scam.

The problem is that it is apparently from a good friend's correct email address and correctly addressed to me, and if I have not been so scam concious I may have perhaps been sucked in!!

The content of the email follows:

I made a trip to Turkey, and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and personal effects therein. The embassy has just issued me a temporary passport but I have to pay for a ticket and settle my hotel bills with the Manager.

I have made contact with my bank but it would take me 3-5 working days to access funds in my account, the bad news is my flight will be leaving very soon but i am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the bills, I need your help/LOAN financially and I promise to make the refund once i get back home, you are my last resort and hope, Please let me know if i can count on you and i need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way i can reach you.

Regards
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I get these all the time. Your friend's email account and address book has been hacked. I tend to get them from clients to my business email and of course had they actually been from the person in question their tax adviser is unlikely to be their first port of call in times of overseas crisis!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

This is one of the earlier vintage scams that did the rounds quite some years ago. Perhaps as we are getting more scam savvy they are resurrecting tried and tested old favourites. :roll: