First scam via HA Dashboard

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Annew

First scam via HA Dashboard

Post by Annew »

Bit of a warning for everyone ...

Great that HA have put anti fraud measures in Dashboard, but unfortunately this has not stopped a scammer from trying the Google scam on me via a Dashboard enquiry.

First for me

:x
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

what's "the Google scam"?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

The Google maps link scam - "which is your property - the one on the left or the one on the right?" - I am supposing.
Annew

Post by Annew »

Yes it is the one about identifying your property - an obvious scam as the follow up email doesn't answer any of my queries to them, has different party details to the original enquiry one and asks me to identify my property (my properties have no neighbours!):

Hello again!Thank you. We would like to go ahead with the booking of your property for these dates (which are flexible depending on fligts) but please let me know where exactly is it located.Is it within walking distance to amenities or do we need a rental car.We ve been checking the map on the website, could you please confirm that the following link on Google Maps shows the correct location of your house? Is it the one on the left or the one on the right side of the image?.Please find attached the Enquiry Form where you can find all the information you need (our full names - 4 persons, address, phone number contact, email address and the period that interests us. Would you please advise us on how to proceed? (I've deleted the link, obviously)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

They sent a URL and attachment directly from HA or via a followup email? I'm assuming the latter but fail to see how any firm could prevent this unless people had previously reported that email address and HA actively blocked an enquiry.
Annew

Post by Annew »

All correspondence between me and dodgy guest was through the HA dashboard.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Annew wrote:All correspondence between me and dodgy guest was through the HA dashboard.
Then yes, that's shockingly slack. There should be no reason for an enquirer to send a URL