Gaetan Thomas

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
casacampello

Gaetan Thomas

Post by casacampello »

This one is obvious. But has anyone ever answered to something like this (guess so) and what happens next? What are the kind of "ppl" try to do really?

Grtz G

Gaëtan Thomas <daily0896@gmail.com>
14:41 (8 uur geleden)

aan bcc: info
Hello,
I will like to book your property for the date and time below.
(April 25 2015)
(June 27 2015)
Guest: 2 adults

Its will be my wife and I,We just got married ..
Please email me the total price its will cost for the long holiday...
English is not perfect we are from Switzerland I will be expecting to
hear from you soon.

Sincerely.

Gaëtan Thomas..
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I answer these almost every single time. Until you answer, you don't know for sure it's a scam. If it's a scam, they'll send some dodgy link or suggest an overpayment. If in doubt, use an email address reserved for suspect enquiries. You cannot do any harm by replying to find out what the scam is.

That email is very strange but it is a German name, which might explain the English and was sent from a German PC. Therefore you have to completely ignore any problems with the English.

The ONLY suspect parts for me are the use of a gmail address and a rather long stay.
GRL

Post by GRL »

kevsboredagain wrote:If in doubt, use an email address reserved for suspect enquiries.
May do that - thanks :)
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Very dodgy. Why is a German PC speaking ( or trying to speak) Dutch!!! That is not not German anyway - my suspicion is that they pressed 'Dutch' on the auto- translate instead of 'Deutsch' in order to pretend the PC is in A German-speaking country.

I would run a mile!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Sorry, mistook the Dutch for german. Still no proof without making a reply. I think that part simply came from the Gmail of the OP
Cas & Irene

Post by Cas & Irene »

"8 uur geleden" and "aan" bcc: info
The words in the heading of this email "8 uur geleden" and "aan" are Dutch for "8 hours ago" and "To".

I think that the gmail account is set in Dutch, likely the sender is Dutch/Belgian? Not many use the Dutch language if it`s not your native language.
Sail with the wind from today and count your blessings!
http://www.Bed-and-Breakfast-Barcelona.com
St. Katharine B&B-Hotel Boat in Barcelona!
Follow us on Twitter : @Yacht_Barcelona

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BedandBreakfastBoatBarcelona
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

But they say they are from Switzerland - there was nothing about Holland or Belgium - I would take that to mean "I am Swiss".
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

FelicityA wrote:But they say they are from Switzerland - there was nothing about Holland or Belgium - I would take that to mean "I am Swiss".
Some of the text cut and paste from Gmail was the same language as the default language of the OPs website.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

kevsboredagain wrote:Some of the text cut and paste from Gmail was the same language as the default language of the OPs website.
Not understanding this? OP has copied what comes into his website and the OP's website is in Dutch? That would explain the Dutch...

However, I still would put money on it being a scam mail. The just married bit being pretty standard stuff, in my experience.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

FelicityA wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:Some of the text cut and paste from Gmail was the same language as the default language of the OPs website.
Not understanding this? OP has copied what comes into his website and the OP's website is in Dutch? That would explain the Dutch...

However, I still would put money on it being a scam mail. The just married bit being pretty standard stuff, in my experience.
In otherwords the belgian Dutch has nothing to do with the enquiry but is simply part of the text copied from the OPs email software.

I wouldn't put money on it. I'd just find out rather than trying to second guess.
Cas & Irene

Post by Cas & Irene »

Kevsboredagain wrote:
the OP's website
Sorry, but what do you mean with "OP´s website"?

FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

viewtopic.php?t=22892&sid=0cea107295960 ... 9bd78b5557

I rest my case. My overall advice to people is don't waste your time on these obvious ones.

And I just looked at my spam mail and found the poor chap has been waiting for a reply from me for over two weeks now. It seems he was planning a multi-venue holiday...
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Cas & Irene wrote:Kevsboredagain wrote:
the OP's website
Sorry, but what do you mean with "OP´s website"?
OP stands for Opening Poster; in other words, the person who started this thread.
Cas & Irene

Post by Cas & Irene »

Thanks Nemo! :D

kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

By replying to a suspect email you get genuine proof of the scam. Then this can be sent to their ISP or email provider and the account can be closed down. Although they simply create a new account, taking such action would likely benefit far more victims than trying to guess if it's a scam by the initial email and posting on LMH. If they try to send a phishing link in the followup email, this domain can be shut down and could prevent many people falling for the scam.