Steve Benson- Don't click on google maps link!

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Ruth Stanley

Steve Benson- Don't click on google maps link!

Post by Ruth Stanley »

Hate to admit it but have just been caught out. I received an enquiry and replied, then received email asking me to confirm where the property was. And yes, I stupidly clicked on the google maps link. I am only letting you all know to warn anyone else not to be as daft as me. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Fortunately common sense finally kicked in. I have let OD know. :?
Live every day like it may be your last...
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

I've had Steve Benson email me today too - I did think it was a scam from the wording but sent a reply which asked a couple of questions neither of which Mr Benson answered though he did insert a Google link for me to click on in his follow up email - didn't click on it luckily enough and have now deleted.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

What happens when you click on the link out of interest? Does it ask you to log into your email account or web site?
louloup

Post by louloup »

I've always assumed that it would install some kind of malware so you need to run a virus check at the very least and make sure your passwords are protected. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than le will explain more, but I personally would be worried until I was sure all was safe again.
Ruth Stanley

Post by Ruth Stanley »

Casscat wrote:What happens when you click on the link out of interest? Does it ask you to log into your email account or web site?
I didn't look too closely cos my heart sank when I saw it :shock: but it looked like a log in page for email. I never use the internet to check my emails and only use outlook so think I may be okay. I did not enter any details but closed IE immediately. But have still had to change passwords and run virus check.
Still cant believe I was sooooo stupid. :oops:
Last edited by Ruth Stanley on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ruth Stanley

Post by Ruth Stanley »

Yorkshire Lass wrote:I've had Steve Benson email me today too - I did think it was a scam from the wording but sent a reply which asked a couple of questions neither of which Mr Benson answered though he did insert a Google link for me to click on in his follow up email - didn't click on it luckily enough and have now deleted.
Wish I had been that sensible. :roll:
Bumblebee

'Lucas Morena'

Post by Bumblebee »

I think this is related to the other recent phishing emails that have been posted, see for example the Sylvia Derek thread. Initially 'Lucas Morena' sent me a link to a 'pdf' with booking details, and then when I failed to logon via the link, he sent me a link to a map asking if this was the location of the cottage. Have now blocked the email address. I also foolishly clicked on the link to the alleged pdf and got an email logon. I have now done a complete virus scan (all 3 hours of it!) and found nothing, so think that they were phishing for my email login details.

Hopefully the same is true for you Ruth
Oh I do like to be beside the sea...

www.bumblebeecottagefiley.com
Owners Direct: 8151873
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Steve Benson's just contacted me. Going to ignore him and let OD know
Oh I do like to be beside the sea...

www.bumblebeecottagefiley.com
Owners Direct: 8151873
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Just had the enquiry from Lucas (this time his surname's moretta) via OD who sent this response to my reply:

I am glad that is available.
Please find attached the Enquiry Form our passports and our reguests, (our full names - 4 persons, address, phone number contact, email address and the period that interests us. We have put flexible dates, just let us know wich one is available.
After you complete with our dates i will make payment straight away.
Kindest Regards,
Sent from my iPhone
With a 'PDF' link

First email from luckasmoretta@outlook.com and then second from an email address for Greg Holly hollys_greg@hotmail.com

I'll forward it to OD. I can see how someone who hasn't seen LMH could easily click the link without giving it a second thought.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

We're all forwarding this stuff to OD (or HA) but do they actually do anything?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think all they do is send you a standard reply about dealing with scam emails but by then the horse has already bolted. They should be sending regular communications to advertisers revealing the 'scam of the month' so everyone may be aware of the techniques being employed to extract your personal data - or cash - from you. It's not exactly difficult bearing in mind that they're perfectly happy to blanket mail everyone about things that really don't matter at all.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

The only difficulty I see with that is it will also keep the scammers up to date so they know to put in a bit more effort and change their tactics (and wording!). At least at the moment they are reasonably easy to spot.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I don't see that as an issue - better to keep advertisers on their toes. Surely the scammers know by now that the Google maps con has passed its sell by date? Probably, but there is still a tidal wave of scammy email doing the rounds on that very theme.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Just had an email through OD with the same google maps link except when you look closely at the url it is actually linking to a domain called federicoandreoni.com.

It started off with Gerald Elison asking me to reply to his personal email address because he was going to be out of the office (written as geraldelison at gmail.com). A couple of days after I replied he sent the email with the supposed google maps link. I nearly clicked it then I thought I'd just check LMH first - thank goodness I did!
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.