Russian who wants to pay cash at arrival

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
stork

Russian who wants to pay cash at arrival

Post by stork »

I have a booking through BC for 5 days late April, 4 adults. English reasonable but not perfect, no particular warning signs. Only think is mention of wedding anniversary, but you could bring adult children, right?

We only take cards through PayPal (long story), so he did not need to present one when booking.

However, our terms on BC are full payment 14 days before arrival - of course people can pass and drop a pile of cash, but it really means transfer or PayPal.

He tries to get to pay cash at arrival, complaining about charges and exchange rates.

He could have a pile of notes in his mattress, or they could be home made. Or he could just turn out to be a no-show. Or genuine for that matter.

I have tried to search him, but am not sure I found the right one.

Of course, being though BC makes it more complicated…

Your thoughts?

PS: A search on the name gives a hit on LinkedIN - a computer scientist who have gone back to do a M.Sc. in Lisbon. Funny coincidence.
Last edited by stork on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have had one Russian guest who has stayed for the past 4 years. I had initial hassle with Paypal, he used a different credit card and all was fine. He comes each year, and has not made any demands. I would stick to your normal payment terms.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Yes you might bring adult children on a wedding anniversary holiday.

However, I would have thought someone booking a family holiday for an important event should be paying (and would want to pay)at the very least, a deposit to secure his stay. After all it's in his own interests too. So that's what I would suggest.

I've never had Russian guests but have had one French and one Portuguese who agreed to pay deposit by transfer but insisted on remainder in cash on arrival. My terms are full balance 4 weeks before arrival but I relented on these occasions. The Portuguese guest has re-booked for this year.
other

Post by other »

. .
Last edited by other on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
revdev

Post by revdev »

I have had a few Russian guests and all of them try to pay cash on arrival. They get hammered on exchange rates & fees with credit cards and paypal.
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

other wrote:I've had several Russian guests. Their currency has taken a big hit, which means all their holidays now cost them double. I am not surprised he is anxious about the fees.
Whilst I sympathise about the cost of card payment fees/bank transfers and the Russians' problems with the exchange rate, basically, if they can't afford it, they should not expect you to effectively discount their holiday.

What you have to decide, Stork, is whether you, with your business hat on, trust this guy to firstly arrive as booked and secondly to pay in full on arrival. If he arrives and doesn't instantly proffer the cash, are you prepared to stand there with your hand out? And deny him access till he pays up? He might be a thoroughly genuine nice guy - or he might be a hulking great ex-KGB type! :lol:

If you're not 100% certain you will not end up either with no arrival (and by then no chance of a replacement late booking) or with no money on arrival, then stick to your terms and conditions of payment.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
other

Post by other »

. .
Last edited by other on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
stork

Post by stork »

Just the update: They are genuine, have done a bank transfer (at least that it what the part Russian, part English document seems to indicate), and they only booked a week ago or so.

All well, and I am more comfortable.

Thanks